Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
After reading this review I have a couple questions...

Since I don't live in a big city, am I really a trendsetter by buying the ForTwo?

and...

Should I go with the Maybach instead? :p

·
Registered
250 Posts
Why, I ask, do all these reviewers try to use a vehicle such as the Maybach as an example when talking about the Smart. I read drivel like this before. If I could afford a Maybach, I wouldnt want a Smart. Apples and oranges here.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Why, I ask, do all these reviewers try to use a vehicle such as the Maybach as an example when talking about the Smart.
Actually it was a fairly complementary comparison to the ultra luxury car "...ride quality isn't exactly as supple as a Maybach"

Here's the part I found interesting from Edmunds after another writer from there slammed the tranny.

edmunds.com said:
Not Exactly Shift-by-Wire
If you're looking for the explanation for the Fortwo's sluggish run to 60 mph, you don't have to look much further than the drivetrain's automated five-speed manual transmission. Whether you operate it with the stick on the console or the paddles on the steering wheel or just leave it to its own devices in Drive, the Getrag-built gearbox shifts with a considerable delay between gears.

The sensation is akin to mistaking the brake pedal for the clutch while shifting with a standard manual, especially when you're going from 1st gear to 2nd. The nose of the Smart dives and your head pitches forward and then 2nd gear kicks in and acceleration resumes. The same thing happens with each gear, fortunately with declining intensity.

On a second day of driving the Smart, the transmission seemed to behave a bit more mannerly — perhaps a case of familiarity breeding competence, as you simply get used to it. But really this isn't the sort of neck-stretching acceleration we were hoping for, and we expect lots of people will think the same.

Rolling at Last
Once you get some momentum together, it's a pleasure to drive the Smart. Despite its short 73.5-inch wheelbase, the Fortwo absorbs bumps and potholes quite well. The ride quality isn't exactly as supple as a Maybach, but the motions are surprisingly gentle.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
On a second day of driving the Smart, the transmission seemed to behave a bit more mannerly — perhaps a case of familiarity breeding competence, as you simply get used to it. But really this isn't the sort of neck-stretching acceleration we were hoping for, and we expect lots of people will think the same.
OF COURSE the TRANSMISSION behaved more mannerly...the driver is learning how to USE it!

NECK STRETCHING ACCELERATION - from a 70 hp 3 cylinder? gimme a break!! The Mitsu is more than adequate for safe acceleration and driving. What do these people expect?!?!? Grrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

·
Registered
931 Posts
In 1958 I traded in a 1957 Chevy Bel Aire 4 door hard top (love to have it now LOL) for a new Renault Dauphine. It was a blast to drive and inexpensive to own! I loved it. If there were reviewers and media critics around at that time they would have panned the car unmercifully. Understand that reviewers and critics will always have their own opinion and agenda if you catch my drift.

We contribute to their "importance" by taking the positive bites and holding them dear to our heart while ignoring the negative bites.

Please keep in mind that smart is not putting dollars into their pockets by advertising in their publications at this time. If that was the case, believe me when I say that the reviewers would be a lot more positive, even with the tranny.

:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I must admit that the talk about the trans scares me some. I took a test drive when they came to Pittsburgh and I thought it was funky too, mostly from a start. Our test drive was only around a couple of city blocks, not really enough to get much of a feel for the thing.

I ordered mine (all black cabrio, w/comfort pkg...or whatever they call it) on 6 April and did the confirmation thing about 3 weeks ago. I figure that as rare as it seems they will be the first year, if I don't like the car, I will probably be able to sell it and loose very little in the transaction or possibly even make a few dollars??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts