Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little confused about the all electric and hybrid Smart models that have been discussed here.

First, my greatest interest is in the straight electric model. My understanding is that no pricing or release date has been suggested for it. Is that correct?

Also there seems to be some difference between the Smart hybrid that is called "stop-start", and other Smart hybrids that are being considered. I take it that the "stop-start" hybrid is likely to come out by the end of 2007, but it is NOT a plug-in hybrid. Right?

Then how does the hybrid(s) that are slated to come out at a later date differ from the "stop-start" one?

Thanks in advance for the information

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Well with all the possible engine configurations of fortwo that have been discussed and are available elsewhere, it is easy to get confused, but the simple bottom line is that for US in 2008 it will only be a choice of one engine, the 1000 cc gasoline engine (no turbo). The "micro" hybrid (the stop-start, non-electric hybrid) you mentioned is supposed to go into production by the end of the year- but presumably just for European markets initially. Two other true hybrids have been announced - an all electric smart and the more typical gas/diesel "full" hybrid, but without dates for production as of yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much!

I just wanted to thank you for the information that you provided. Looks like I will wait for a while on the electric Smart.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Smart gliders and eMotion Mobility

A little history regarding thesmart electric car, eMotion Mobility, Daimler, smart and the State of Georgia try to do a smart electric car similar project.

They import some smart car gliders toGeorgia. They claimed to have the capacity to produce over 6,000 vehicles annually. They said they were going to import 1500 cars the first year with DaimlerChrysler Corps blessings.

In 2003 eMotion Mobilityand the State of Georgia closed down operations and moved on to greener pastures no pun intended, they only imported 30 Smart units. And none of their cars ever got to the market place, Axis Group, Inc. of Decatur, Georgia the shipper of the smart cars did not get paid and had to placed liens on the cars to re-group some of their money and some were sold on Ebay and are being driven as we speak.

Also California company Riker Electric Vehicles had the same vision and suffered the same demise. They picked the for the vessel that would hold the electric power. That would power the vehicle. They claimed the car could reach speeds of 70 mph and had a range of 150 miles. Their goal was to be the world leader in the production of affordable, functional, practical forms of electric transportation including automobiles by using the latest and best technology available.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts