Smart Car of America Forum banner

electric-auto manual, or manual with clutch pedal, your favorite?

• electric-automated 5 sp manual, (no additional clutch pedal)

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • standard 5 sp manual, (with additional clutch pedal)

Votes: 37 44.0%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
if given a 'no extra charge' order choice, of the

smart current usa electric automated manual 5 sp transmission (no additional clutch pedal)

or,

a standard 5 sp manual (with additional clutch shifting pedal),

which would you order, as your favorite?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I still would opt for the automated manual. I've had a manual and in rush hour traffic it just killed my left leg and hip on operating the clutch. I said never again to a manual.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I want to enjoy driving, not struggle with shifting up and down in heavy traffic and at the ever-increasing number of red lights around here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had an automatic in 1976 and swore never again, just too boring to drive. But if I only make that mistake every 32 years, it will be ok. I just hope I don't fall asleep and drive into a tree.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I still would opt for the automated manual. I've had a manual and in rush hour traffic it just killed my left leg and hip on operating the clutch. I said never again to a manual.
Must have been something wrong with the clutch. Unless you have a multi-disc competition clutch, operationof the pedal should be feather lite. Otherwise a stiff clutch means iminent failure.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I want to enjoy driving, not struggle with shifting up and down in heavy traffic and at the ever-increasing number of red lights around here.
It really becomes second nature after much practice and absolutely effortless in heavy traffic unless something is wrong with the clutch. The only time I regretted having nothing but manual cars was when I had a broken leg.

Automatics (or automateds) just aren't as fun to drive.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
at the time driving an automatic, with several 4 and 5 speeds in my past,

and before loosing interest in the chevy hhr, i took an hhr test drive with the standard 5 speed manual, and typical extra clutch petal.

the shifting was solid, firm, smooth, a joy, an inspiration, putting an instant grin on my face. the std manual with clutch pedal, was nice. good. a delight.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In almost forty years of driving, I've only had one car with an automatic and one with an electric-auto-manual. The automatic was nice and worked well with the turbo engine, but the DSG was really not like a manual. So, given the choice, I'd pick a manual. But since that's not an option, I'll be fine with the auto-manual. Since most people in the USA drive automatics, that's the best stragety for marketing.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Won't vote on this one - I'd prefer an automatic. I understand why MB went with the automatic manual, and I don't have a problem with that. But c'mon people, it's time to join the late 20th century.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
No way do I want to crawl through Los Angeles traffic with my left foot pushing in the clutch. I'll take the smart way with this car, thank you.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
But c'mon people, it's time to join the late 20th century.

When technology catches up with what I want as a driver,I'll be glad to move to an automatic or other variant. Yes, I know that some high tech race cars are using some variation or another with great success, but I can't afford $50k for the tranny alone.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I rarely get caught in a jam. I've driven clutch for the last 20 years or so and prefer having more control in shifting. It's more economical, easier on brakes and just more fun IMHO. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I drive Dallas traffic all of the time with my manual transmission. I have had a CVT as well and went back to a manual. I worry that the clutch may burn out in these cars being that they are automated manuals and will be trying to creep forward like an automatic. Being that they have been in use in London, I hope that all of the bugs they may have had will have been worked out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I made a choice

I just wish there were two additional options:

Whats a transmission (ie you mean there isn't an automatic option)

and

Can I test drive both on the dealer lot first, and choose then

btw, i'm going lectric with them game buttons on the wheel!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I drive Dallas traffic all of the time with my manual transmission. I have had a CVT as well and went back to a manual. I worry that the clutch may burn out in these cars being that they are automated manuals and will be trying to creep forward like an automatic. Being that they have been in use in London, I hope that all of the bugs they may have had will have been worked out.
I'm no motorhead but when sitting you have the option to slip the tranny into neutral rather than idling in the engaged position. A more tech oriented guy could tell you which is better for the transmission. :)

BTW, Dave, I'm stealing that little Smarty gif you have. That is too cool. :)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I don't think they built in a problem that when you are stopped with the car in drive would cause any problems.

When I was testing driving and stopped the car at a light. I just put on the brake, it didn't stall because I forgot to push in on the "clutch" like a manual would. I think the creep happens with a small push on the gas.

·
Registered
564 Posts
What I really want is a dual clutch version of an automated manual transmission. This is the "next generation" automated manual, and may or may not end up on the smart at some point in the future (some VWs and Audis already have it).

The US auto industry is quietly investing big bucks in this technology, as it has the promise of completely replacing the current torque converter based automatics with big improvements in efficiency (equals better gas mileage equals a prayer of meeting the new CAFE standards).

The best single clutch automated manuals can perform an upshift in about 80ms; the dual clutch version cuts that to 8ms. I can live with that!

Here's a good technical article about the technology (even has cool cutaways):

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-clutch-transmission.htm

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
given the creep at idle with the auto manual (grinding and sanding the plate surface off),
how does one prevent early wear out of the clutch plate?

to replace the clutch plate, is a lot of work for a do it your-selfer (or at least it is in a standard 5 sp with clutch pedal. likely equally as difficult, maybe even more difficult, with the auto manual?).

which also means quite a bill to have it done.

question:

what practices can 1) lengthen the life of this auto manual? and 2) get the most mpg efficiency from of the auto manual?

can you shift it to the 'N', neutral postion, when idling, to take pressure off the clutch, and reduce its wear?

or does shifting back and forth from drive to neutral and back to drive, also cause excessive wear?

when coasting, can you put it in neutral, to save gas, and reduce clutch plate wear? or does that 'in and out' action, cause extra wear somehow?

anyone have tips, to boost the life of the clutch plate with auto manual?

is this why the company is worried about not giving a longer than 2 year warranty? they know that clutch plate will need replacing, often, and soon?
uggg.

--00000000000000000000--

late edit added:

questions after reading the above sited, double clutch transmission (dct) 'how stuff works' page:

is the smart a dry or wet clutch?

if the dct is so 'lighting fast' in its shifting (according the article description), why is the smarts shifting so 'jackass asleep slow'?

and what are the differences, of what smart has, and what the race cars use, to attain this continuous power applied shifting? (again, when it 'seems' the smart hesitates, between shifts, and doesn't 'feel' like the smart is applying continuous power during shifts? - or at least, that is my recollection, impression, from long ago july 07 test drives. - )

1 - 20 of 48 Posts