Smart Car of America Forum banner

electric-auto manual, or manual with clutch pedal, your favorite?

• electric-automated 5 sp manual, (no additional clutch pedal)

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • standard 5 sp manual, (with additional clutch pedal)

Votes: 37 44.0%
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's a city car.

City traffic means standing on the clutch for long periods of time.

I'll take the current tranny, please.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Agree with last sentiments. Automatic with manual override, automatic clutch setups just make more sense in current traffic conditions. I have a car with excellent 6-speed manual, find I rarely drive it.

Incidentally, some of the better automatics actually outperform their manual counterparts. (Audi/VW DSG trannies, Porsche Turbo Tiptronic.)

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
I vote for: The tranny just exactly as it was (450).
My wife is happy (Auto)
I am happy (manual, I downshift) Except when I leave the house with a cup of coffee(auto)

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
178 Posts
Manual Transmission w/clutch

For me I'll take a manual transmission w/clutch any day.
Part of the fun in driving is having control of your own clutch as you power through the gears. I'm sure I'll love the 451, but if Daimler would have offered one with a clutch, that's the model I would have preferred. :)
-Tom L.

·
Registered
36 Posts
How enjoyable a manual shift/clutch might be would depend a lot on the match of low-end torque, etc. 40 years ago I thought my brother's new Mercury Cougar GT big-block with 4 speed was great for blasting through the Berkshires. I still enjoy our '63 beetle, especially in light traffic. The first new Guards Red '97 Porsche Boxster demo to arrive in Riverside was a dog, apparently because of clutch behavior and anemic low-end torque. During open house for the Porsche Club, I watched four consecutive (experienced Porsche) drivers stall the engine just trying to get the thing out of the dealership. That reference to "light traffic"? Around here these days, that is mostly found early on Sunday mornings. To each his own, but I am content with the current setup.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I searched, I can't find a better thread to ask this question:

When in Drive and stopped, is the computer holding in the clutch? I was taught not to do that. Will shifting to neutral help the throw-out bearing life?

As soon as I let up a little pressure on the brake pedal the car starts to creep. That can't be good for the clutch!

All you folks that say the automatic mode is good in stop-and-go traffic will find out how much brake pedal it takes to hold this car stationary in drive!
Give me a manual clutch any day!

·
Registered
168 Posts
As posted in the "Houston ,we have a problem" post ,I fear more and more of these issues. I have had autos and manuals, I prefer an auto with a torque converter than can be manual shifted if required. Lower maintenance and repair costs in the overall life at the expense of some mpg. The Smart auto/manual design I don't like, more components= more chances of problems.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts