Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm staying at someone's house all week and I've tried 4 different plugs in their garage and house and none charge, the red light blinks on the charger. I can't figure out what's going on and can find absolutely no info online. Does anyone know why this would happen? I'm going to be in a pickle with no charging all week!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea, they're on vacation so I can't ask them and they may not even know. I'm a woman so this is all very foreign to me, I'm not sure what reverse wiring means. Why would outlets not have a 'correct voltage'? The red light just means that its not charging.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Have you plugged anything else into those outlets to confirm they have power to them? Could be a tripped circuit breaker or GFCI. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes they all work fine otherwise..its just my car. I wonder if it's pulling too much current for it to handle...but I'm not sure why that would be. I just assumed every outlet is the same everywhere...guess not?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have no idea, they're on vacation so I can't ask them and they may not even know. I'm a woman so this is all very foreign to me, I'm not sure what reverse wiring means. Why would outlets not have a 'correct voltage'? The red light just means that its not charging.
No problem, reverse wiring is the two spade connections in the outlet are reversed. Some electronics are sensitive to that. I have also seen where overloaded or bad wiring connections will only have around 90 volts and not 120. You can pick up a 5 dollar outlet tester at any home center. They have three lights to show proper outlet wiring. You want to see two lights. They have a chart on them to explain the use and proper/faulted indications.

Receptacle tester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
142 Posts
No problem, reverse wiring is the two spade connections in the outlet are reversed. Some electronics are sensitive to that. I have also seen where overloaded or bad wiring connections will only have around 90 volts and not 120. You can pick up a 5 dollar outlet tester at any home center. They have three lights to show proper outlet wiring. You want to see two lights. They have a chart on them to explain the use and proper/faulted indications.

Receptacle tester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Now this is a Good idea, to key a Receptacle Testing in the glove.... but it's sad when Smart ForTwo ED drivers have to be the Electricians of the world... going around testing every socket for the correct wiring...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts