Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 30 amp socket in my garage for a small air conditioner that I no longer use. Couldn't I simply use what is called a 'dog bone" (used with campers) to convert my 110 charging cord to 30amp for faster charging? Or am I thinking too far out of the box...

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,761 Posts
Not sure what that buys you as the OEM 120 V EVSE is rated at 12 A/1440 W?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Be sure that this actually includes the EVSE! The picture only shows the 120V adapter cable. Quite expensive for $250!:eek:
That's interesting. When I posted the link Amazon had a full set of pictures for a 120v / 240v portable EVSE!

Do have a good search for what will work. Similar units can be sourced via ebay.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It won't work at the 240V service level, someone correct me if I'm wrong. You may end up frying your charger.

No, that's not 220. It's just a converter for a 30 amp, 120 circuit. It would not allow for faster charging in any way because the car sets the current level. The converter is just for those times when you have access to that style of plug. I used one at a camp site a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
No, that's not 220. It's just a converter for a 30 amp, 120 circuit. It would not allow for faster charging in any way because the car sets the current level. The converter is just for those times when you have access to that style of plug. I used one at a camp site a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for recognizing the plug configuration! Never actually seen a 30A 120V outlet so I didn't catch it. I do believe it wouldn't hurt to "dog bone" it, just wouldn't be quicker than a 15A dedicated outlet....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts