Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2013 ED a loud raspy noise comes from the right rear of the car when I push the brake...It remains for about 10 seconds and then stops. The car drives fine. I have a video but am not sure if this site takes video. Any help you can give is appreciated.

·
Registered
927 Posts
On my 2013 ED a loud raspy noise comes from the right rear of the car when I push the brake...It remains for about 10 seconds and then stops. The car drives fine. I have a video but am not sure if this site takes video. Any help you can give is appreciated.
Does this noise happen every time you apply the brakes, or only the first time? Do you feel any pulsations through the brake pedal when this noise occurs? If drive in a straight line and apply the brakes without touching the steering wheel, does your car stop straight?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. The noise happens whenever I apply the brakes at a standstill. I'm not sure if it happens always when I drive. It begins when I start the car (foot on the brake) and continues for about 10 seconds. Then it stops by itself. My braking does not seem to be affected at all. The car drives fine. I'm wondering if there's a compressor or pump of some kind in the right rear of the vehicle. I did post a video which allows the viewer to hear the sound.

Thanks again for your response.

J.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Thanks for your reply. The noise happens whenever I apply the brakes at a standstill. I'm not sure if it happens always when I drive. It begins when I start the car (foot on the brake) and continues for about 10 seconds. Then it stops by itself. My braking does not seem to be affected at all. The car drives fine. I'm wondering if there's a compressor or pump of some kind in the right rear of the vehicle. I did post a video which allows the viewer to hear the sound.

Thanks again for your response.

J.
So if it makes a noise that you can hear at standstill whenever you step on the brake pedal, it may be something to do with the vacuum assist system for the brakes. Not sure exactly of where all the parts lie - someone with more in depth mechanical knowledge will need to help you. But generally, there should be a pump/booster of some sort, along with probably a vacuum holding tank. You may have a leak with this system causing the pump to run more often than it needs.

I think I may have read a thread here a long time ago that the brake booster pump needs replacing after running a certain number of hours.

Good luck with this. I'll try to do more digging into it when I have more time tonight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts