Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure this must have been asked and answered in the past. But what is the electric motor noise on a cold start?
Only runs about 30 seconds or so, and not heard from for the rest of day, with subsequent starts. Hope its nothing serious.
Again thanks to all in advance. I forgot to add it's a 2008 Passion.

Ned

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
277 Posts
This was one of the first questions I asked when I joined in 2010..

And the reply I got:
"It's an air pump for exhaust emissions. It pumps air into the exhaust manifold to help complete the combustion of the richer fuel mixture when the motor is cold, and to help the catalytic converter heat up faster for better emission control."

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jebcidic
Thanks for the response. I'm glad someone had a reason for the pump? and why it had to run on a cold start.
Ned

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting. I have a 2009 smart fortwo cabrio. It recently started that 30 second loud whine on the first start of the day. Did not do it for the first 60k miles - it is totally a new thing. No local smart dealer these days, and none of the local independents I have consulted have any idea what it could be. Previously I do recall hearing an occasional soft hum when first turning the key - very soft, for about three seconds. Not at all the same as this noise...

If it really -is- a normal thing, why did it not happen for the first 60k miles / 7 years?

One guess someone had was that it is a fuel pump running amok - and likely indicating an upcoming failure.

Anyone have any wise counsel?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey, I also have an 08 Passion and after a few years, that air pump (which I never heard before) started squealing really loudly. Turns out that the bearing in it start to go bad making that squealing noise. I replaced mine with one I found on eBay and it lasted a couple of years and then that one started squealing as well. I'm now on my 3rd one in ten years. -It's the been the only troublesome part on my car. Just pull off the the right rear wheel and splash shield and it's right there. 3 bolts, one wire connector and one hose and out it comes mounting bracket and all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found a video on youtube that shows another persons vehicle with the same sound. In retrospect, it sounds a lot like the sound of an oreck vacuum cleaner when the bearings in the motor go out. So I guess I'm going to be pricing out a new air pump. Thanks for the info. And for anyone who is curious, the youtube video can be found by searching youtube for smart air pump noise

·
Registered
898 Posts
I found a video on youtube that shows another persons vehicle with the same sound. In retrospect, it sounds a lot like the sound of an oreck vacuum cleaner when the bearings in the motor go out. So I guess I'm going to be pricing out a new air pump. Thanks for the info. And for anyone who is curious, the youtube video can be found by searching youtube for smart air pump noise
OR
JUST CLICK THE LINK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts