Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have logged each of my last 441 days using an app called My EV App, I’ve attached some pics of my results but most notable is that spring and fall are almost identical at 114 kilometres while winter at 69 kilometres and summer at 141 kilometres are almost 50% difference of each other. I live in Canada and get some pretty interesting weather throughout the year. I track the temperature in the app so I can quickly graphically see the lows and highs based on the temperatures. The app also tracks what accessories I turn on such as the ac or heater, radio etc so I can see their impact on my range. From my experience with my 2017 ED, road conditions, breaking and take off speed has huge impacts along with of course the normal ac and heater. When I hypermile it I’ve gotten 165 kilometres but you’ll notice that my average across all months is just 1.06 kilometres for each 1% of battery which equals 106 kilometres total range, this is in line with the EPA as long as it’s based on life averages because seasonally that goes up and down substantially..

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll chime in from Phoenix AZ.
Winter time here= No climate control needed and 80 mile range driving easy, 75 mile range flooring it off lights beating everyone!
Summer time here = A/C all the time, 65 mile range driving easy, 53 mile range driving hard but trying to conserve range.

After driving my 2017 Chevy Volt for 2 years and my 2015 Smart ED I find that taking off fast and then cruising extends range.
Taking off fast pulls max amps for only 5 seconds and then single digit KW to cruise
Taking off slow and average pulls a steady medium load for a 1/4 mile and drains more.

·
Registered
232 Posts
"Taking off fast pulls max amps for only 5 seconds and then single digit KW to cruise
Taking off slow and average pulls a steady medium load for a 1/4 mile and drains more."

!WOW! I'd love to hear other's to agree with this. This may sound too good to be true, but with peak torque at initial start, this could be true for electrics. Just the opposite of ICE engines.

(My physics is pretty rusty, so if others could jump in I'd appreciate it.)

·
Registered
92 Posts
This may not be entirely accurate across all driving but in my 2017 Chevy Volt it has a digital KW usage display.

When I am first at the light, I take off with around 75 to 80 KW for just 3 seconds and I'm up to 45MPH and then let up to around 7 to 9 KW to maintain 45 to 50MPH.

When stuck in traffic I take off with the ICE cars pace and see the KW at 32 to 35 for a long duration as it takes the traffic 1/4 mile to get up to 45MPH.

My 2015 Smart ED gauge is harder to accurately depict but follows the same trend ( Floor it to max for 4 seconds to 45MPH then the width of the needle to maintain, VS almost a 25 to 45% pull behind traffic)

If I made a chart graph with the 1/4 mile broken down in time it shows the hard take off/cruise KW/time 15% less than the constant pull.

I'm sure someone with Quantum Physics could elaborate further on this though.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts