Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the first year of 451 to be Electric?

It's basic, but when you buy a new Electric Smart, you buy the car but you rent the battery for an extra monthly fee?

If a person was to buy a used EV do you have to keep paying the monthly fee that the former owner did to keep the battery or do you get the battery included on the price of the used EV?

Keeping up the monthly fee to the end of the battery lease means you get a new battery to start all over again?

Just curious, if I was interested in buying a used Smart EV at some point down the road, what I would need to look for as far as the battery was concerned. It would be a diasaster to buy a used EV with a worn out battery because the car would be useless without one.

What kind of voltage is involved with a Smart EV battery? DCO

·
Registered
832 Posts
ED3 started selling in 2013 in the US.
If you buy one that has BAP, you have to keep paying the $80/month for the rest of the 10 year term or pay $5k to buy the battery out of the lease.
In either case you keep the battery that is in the car already. It gets replaced only if it fails to deliver the minimum guaranteed capacity (or for some other defect) during the term of the lease.

If you find an ED with owned battery, you best get the odyssey tool to check the battery out. You're right, if an owned battery goes bad the car is worthless.

The battery voltage is 270 - 390 V depending on charge and load.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Super Smartie for answering all my questions. I am impressed with your ED knowledge. DCO

·
Registered
386 Posts
After 5 years someone noted there is a decrease in the battery buyout price of $5000....
It almost seems by the numbers to make more sense to lease the battery in the BAP as the car gets older as there is likely a higher probability that it will be inching closer to the end of it's service life. At this point if 2013 was the start date for the oldest EV's out there then that would mean that there is 6 years give or take on the lease or $5760. At the 5 year point there would be $4800 of BAP payments till the end of the 10 year term. I guess the dice roll is if the packs will last a full 10 years at which point you are out of warranty and on the hook for full pop on a battery pack but if the pack should fail near the end of the lease period MB would be on the hook for a battery. Based on the numbers if MB only ever had to replace the battery once in the 10 year period they would be ahead and even if it needed 2 they would break even. Interesting how their accountants cooked this up but that also makes you wonder what they projected the service life of the packs to be.

That makes it rather interesting to see how resale values will be as cars age given there will be the possibility of a $5000 hit for a new battery pack possibly on the horizon, now that price is that just the battery or does that include installation? Wild card is we can't know/tell how the packs will last. Also with the way smarts depreciate and even EV's what might these cars sell for and will packs be available. I was looking at an ad for a 2013 EV in Buffalo NY selling used for under $6000 the other day. Up here we are seeing off lease EV smarts in the $10,000 range. But in another 3-4 years could these things go for under a $1000 or even lower?

I never really understood how the BAP was cooked this article helped. Smart Electric Drive Launches May 15th - Lease, Battery Rental And Option Details | Inside EVs

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
It almost seems by the numbers to make more sense to lease the battery in the BAP as the car gets older as there is likely a higher probability that it will be inching closer to the end of it's service life. At this point if 2013 was the start date for the oldest EV's out there then that would mean that there is 6 years give or take on the lease or $5760. At the 5 year point there would be $4800 of BAP payments till the end of the 10 year term. I guess the dice roll is if the packs will last a full 10 years at which point you are out of warranty and on the hook for full pop on a battery pack but if the pack should fail near the end of the lease period MB would be on the hook for a battery. Based on the numbers if MB only ever had to replace the battery once in the 10 year period they would be ahead and even if it needed 2 they would break even. Interesting how their accountants cooked this up but that also makes you wonder what they projected the service life of the packs to be.

That makes it rather interesting to see how resale values will be as cars age given there will be the possibility of a $5000 hit for a new battery pack possibly on the horizon, now that price is that just the battery or does that include installation? Wild card is we can't know/tell how the packs will last. Also with the way smarts depreciate and even EV's what might these cars sell for and will packs be available. I was looking at an ad for a 2013 EV in Buffalo NY selling used for under $6000 the other day. Up here we are seeing off lease EV smarts in the $10,000 range. But in another 3-4 years could these things go for under a $1000 or even lower?

I never really understood how the BAP was cooked this article helped. Smart Electric Drive Launches May 15th - Lease, Battery Rental And Option Details | Inside EVs
I looked up the battery pack part number and online sale pricing and found it so high might as well buy a new smart ED. I think part of it is that Mercedes/Smart takes a hit on each sale, as I guess other EV manufacturers. I took a lot of math in college when I went back for computer engineering, but probability was not a class I had a good time with. The rest of the math classes I did great. At the prices I found, makes no sense then to purchase the battery if there is no warranty beyond 4 years/50k miles bumper to bumper, but I'm not sure about how long it is..... The core value alone was around 8k or 9k.....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just so you know, the Gen 2 EDs were available for lease in the US in 2011:
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/penske-delivers-first-electric-smart-fortwo/?_escaped_fragment_=#!

Personal delivery by Roger Penske! :)
Interesting, did a quick search to see if any are on the used market and for what price. Will have to see if any pop up here in Canada.

2011 smart fortwo electric drive for Sale

But reading the Car and Driver review it sounds like after the 4 year lease was up they were taken back. I remember having a test car at work for a review but don't remember much about it other than white and green and that it wasn't for sale.

2011 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive - First Drive Review - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

1 - 8 of 8 Posts