Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2018 electric convertible smart car and we love it , the lease is up in three months has very low milage and we were considering buying the car , Our main concern is Mercedes have stopped making the car so are worried about the warranty and if need to get spare parts in case of a accident will we be able to fo so
Can anyone advise us of the pros and cons of buying it,thanks David

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,859 Posts
Welcome to SCoA.

Tough question with no right answer. In a perfect world your EV would need little to no service/repair. But unless you are in a CARB state where there’s EV support, finding a repair shop could be challenging?

Don’t know what your lease buyout might be but having an electric CABRIO really makes this decision difficult?

If you live in a fair weather city and like your ED cabrio - I’d just write the check!

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
314 Posts
I would think the dealership would very anxious to selling the car to you, as they would have a tough time selling it to anyone who doesn't recognize the value of these cars. Talk to them, ask what support they can give you in the years ahead. They need to convince you to buy off the car, let them do their job. If the dealership still has the diagnostic machines and the technicians trained for the smart car, and can convince you they will in the years ahead, I'd say go for it!

·
Super Moderator
1,649 Posts
We've had reports here that the price Mercedes gives you to buy out your car at the end of the lease is obscene, like several thousand more that you could pick up a similar car at auction or from a used car lot. True, there aren't many used ones for sale out there. You can certainly start looking now to get an idea or maybe you will get lucky like one of our members here who refused to be ripped off by taking the price Mercedes offered. He later found his car at auction at a much better price.

BTW, is it written into your contract what your buyout price will be?

Len

Reactions: car1

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,859 Posts
David, welcome to SCoA. Where are you located?

Lease end buyout is stated in the MBFS lease. Challenge is that the dealer has little incentive to help with the sale and no position in the negotiations.

Best case - look at the market price and suggest that the drop dealer (who is nothing more than the conduit to get it to auction) buy it and flip it at a prearranged price.

Puts dealer at risk of getting hung with unwanted inventory if the “deal” falls through! Few M-B dealers want a $6,000 smart cluttering their lot...

·
Registered
7 Posts
My opinion is to get a bargain at the dealer when the time comes. DO NOT buy it because it is available or you like it. Other electric cars are making massive strides and in 5 years, you will have cheaper options that have newer battery technology as well as great repairability. Don't make an emotional decision. Like sokoloff said above me, these dealers rip you off by charging you more (what a joke, should be the opposite for being a loyal customer) than you would pay through a private party or even a place like Carvana or Craigslist ads.

Get a bargain or walk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts