Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about the electric version of the Smart? Is there any timeframe for when it might reach the US?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Being the optimist I am, I say don't hold your breath.

They are currently testing a small fleet of 150 in the UK. I doubt they are ready to bring it out to the public at this time, though.

You could talk to Hybrid technologies and see about the cost of conversion.

Linkie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Minor Rant Ahead:

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that the US version of the smart is only going to get around 40 mpg when the European diesel version gets 60 mpg. Why can't we have the option of a diesel version here? Obviously, the demographic who wants the smart would go ga-ga over the 60 mpg version of same! And as for an electric version? omg, the waiting lists would be YEARS long!!!!!! I think the smart would be the ideal car to produce an electric version of. Don't get me wrong, I'm more psyched than anyone about smart's impending arrival in the US, but it is sad that, mileage-wise, it is on a par with the Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris instead of in a league of its own, where it belongs. A lithium ion battery version would sell beyond anyone's wildest dreams in the US, me thinks/predicts. Too bad we won't have the chance to demonstrate our pent-up demand for such a product, at least in the foreseeable future.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Diesel

No need to rant about the diesel; it is all about restrictive emissions (NOx) regulations. Not all European countries will get the 451 diesel either, for the same reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
European mpg v. American mpg

No need to rant about the diesel; it is all about restrictive emissions (NOx) regulations. Not all European countries will get the 451 diesel either, for the same reason.
Oh...I'm confusigated. I thought all the smarts in Europe were diesel (except for the small test group of lithium ion battery smarts that either are or will be available in the UK) and got around 60 mpg, and only the American version will run on regular and get 40 mpg. Anyway, I have yet another thought: the smart would be the IDEAL car to produce a hybrid version of. Why oh why can't they do that for us relatively immediately? I would RUN to my nearest Mercedes dealership and sit there for upwards of a year to hold my place in line for a hybrid smart! Oh YEAH, babe! That would be the ticket: a hybrid smart!

P.S. I just spent $3.10 per gallon on my last fill up, btw. :( A hybrid or electric smart can't come soon enough for me! Even the regular 40 mpg one that is coming is extremely welcome!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Oh...I'm confusigated. I thought all the smarts in Europe were diesel

Euro smarts are either gas or diesel. Diesel acceptance has been much greater in Europe than the USA due to a significant price difference between the two fuels. Lower diesel tax is the reason over there.

Problem with the diesel smart here was emissions and low-sulfer fuel availability. They got diesels in Canada up through the 450 models, now only gas versions are available there with the advent of the 451.

An electric smart is being sold on samsclub.com for around $30,000. I'll use my savings on the gas version at the fuel pump, thank you.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Electric Smart 'fortwo'

http://samsclub.com In SEARCH box (upper right) put "electric car"

$35,000.00 for the following: (SOLD)

2007 ELECTRIC SMART 'fortwo' (Lithium batteries)

AND: 5nights/6days for 4 people lodging (with Golf & resort privileges)
and airfare included.

Trip to Kennedy Space Center as VIP guests of the Visitor Complex.

VIP viewing of Space Shuttle Launch

Private guided tour of Kennedy Space Center

AND more; see web site above

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
I'm with you, Smarty!

the smart would be the IDEAL car to produce a hybrid version of. Why oh why can't they do that for us relatively immediately? I would RUN to my nearest Mercedes dealership and sit there for upwards of a year to hold my place in line for a hybrid smart! Oh YEAH, babe! That would be the ticket: a hybrid smart!

P.S. I just spent $3.10 per gallon on my last fill up, btw. :( A hybrid or electric smart can't come soon enough for me! Even the regular 40 mpg one that is coming is extremely welcome!
Smarty...

Yeah, that's already gone, though...Nov 8th it went to someone. HT is selling their version of an electric for 48K which is the same one that Sam's Club sold. Not sure what kind of marketing play that was.

I am looking for the PHEV version which, IMHO, is the epitome of what a green commuter vehicle should be. Small and efficient, this car would provide transportation for at least 2 people to and from work mostly from power taken from the grid rather than the gas pump. A company named Zytek in the UK is developing and testing a diesel PHEV over there. Not sure how they are doing.....
I have stated here numerous times that my plan is to either trade the one I'll get in the first quarter of '08 at a time when the PHEV's are available or convert it myself if they keep vascillating about when it will be available as they are doing now. Time will tell. One way or another, in the next 2-3 years, I will have my Smart PHEV even if I have to build it myself.....:) Plugging in makes the MOST SENSE in terms of operation cost/mile and the infrastructure is already there.
Goal: FREE FROM GASOLINE BY 2010! :D :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
C'mon out to California - here in San Jose regular gas is going for $3.28 at my local Arco station, while I have to pay $3.75 for diesel when I fill up my truck :mad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for all the info, peeps. I feel less confused over the conflicting mileage figures I'm always hearing about smart cars and what the sitch is in Europe, etc. Bottom line: my ideal would be if they would market the lithium ion battery smarts on a mass scale, including HERE in the US of A. This biz of a small scale experiment of selling 500 or whatever the number is in the UK is just maddening. First I waited for years for the Saturn EV to move from California to the rest of the nation, as promised by Saturn, only to watch GM systematically RUIN Saturn and turn it from the admirable success story it was into just another run-of-the-mill GM division, while meanwhile not only not producing the EV's for all states, but actually CRUSHING the EV's out of existence, literally. And now Mercedes is toying with me *lol*. Part of me is tempted to wait at least a model year (especially because my '99 Saturn is still running well and it is paid for! ...not to mention, there is a long waiting list for a smart car), but part of me feels: buy now, you never know if this could be the first and ONLY model year of smarts in the US. It seems carmakers are determined to prevent Americans from purchasing anything even approaching a green car.

End of soapbox...

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
That Sam's Club electric smart car was actually a 2006, not a 2007. We did the original title conversion on that car for Hybrid Technologies. Hope the buyer doesn't mind. There have been no 2007's sold yet in this country.

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts