Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having some problems with my transmission which Smart fixed for free. Ever since then my dome light didn't work in the position that allows it to turn on automatically when the doors open, but I didn't think anything of it. Then a while later one of my rear license plate lights would blink. It stopped blinking but then in a matter of 6 months or so my front right headlight (PIAA) went out, then my left rear brake light went out, and now my left front headlight (PIAA) went out. I guess I just find it all to be odd. How could all these light just keep going out?

Also I'm having a very hard time opening up the retainer bracket to replace the left headlight. The space down there is very tight. Any suggestions would be more than great.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi, when you say want out, did the bulbs burn out or does the socket no longer work? what year is your smart, and when was it the last time you changed any of these bulbs? I'm hoping for you, that it's just a fluke, the bulbs burning out on you.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JimRad, the sockets are fine; so far. '08. The last time I tried to change a bulb was a couple days ago (front left headlight) but like I said the retainer bracket is being VERY stubborn. Before that, a couple months back I changed the rear parking bulb. And about 4 months before that, I changed the front right headlight. Plus my parking led light is dim/blinks. My gut tells me something is up. If it wasn't electronic related I wouldn't be worried because I could probably figure it out myself.

Plus a while back a seatbelt light came on and Smart said I'm SOL on that one even though they covered my three bars of death transmission issue at no cost. I can't afford to take it in so I've just been rolling around with that light on. I'm thinking the seatbelt light icon is not much of a safety issue if Smart isn't worried about the liability on their end.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
It is not uncommon for the light bulbs to blow. The 12 volts is a little hot on these cars, and they have even come up with a resistor kit for the headlights to help them to last. Mine are going strong after installing HID bulbs and ballasts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts