Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my elderly 2009 Smart for Two but a few issues are bothering me. My clear coast I peeling off for a second time. I had all the panels replaced for the same problem when the car was 4 years old. Now it’s worse than ever. Also electrical issues plague me. Tail/ brake lights off on one side and it’s not fuses or bulbs plus my speedometer is all over the place. For example it says 85 when stopped and sometimes 20 when in 65mph traffic. Suggestions?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Abs light or traction control light on?
Love my elderly 2009 Smart for Two but a few issues are bothering me. My clear coast I peeling off for a second time. I had all the panels replaced for the same problem when the car was 4 years old. Now it’s worse than ever. Also electrical issues plague me. Tail/ brake lights off on one side and it’s not fuses or bulbs plus my speedometer is all over the place. For example it says 85 when stopped and sometimes 20 when in 65mph traffic. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
On my land rover it was the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) similar to a speedometer cable that was acting up. I would guess smart has something similar . The rear lights sound like a bad ground connection, or maybe a connector somewhere that got corroded.

·
Registered
696 Posts
VSS is my vote , if you have access to an obd2 reader , and open up the full diagnostics, you should see your speed reading while driving , if it’s “O” it’s your VSS for sure . That messes with the speedo and odo settings too .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts