Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 fortwo with 77K miles. Left work, car was shifting a little harder than usual. As I approached a traffic light I began to brake, but the brakes didn't seem to engage fully. Next the engine starts running extremely rough and the transmission kept going between neutral and drive. I shut off the engine, but it would not restart. I turn the key and all I get is a beeping noise. The starter does not try to engage. Battery is strong. Could this be the clutch actuator or might it be something in the electrical system? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None that I know of. The first garage that looked at it said they were unable to diagnose. Had to tow the vehicle back to my house after that. Nearest smart service center was over an hour away and the tow wasn't covered for that distance.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Simply turning the key to the on position (needn't start it) should activate the clutch actuator to release the clutch... turning the key off then releases it. This is the "normal" operation of a 451... but there is a possibility that some other fault may affect this operation.

From some other reports on here, failures of the clutch actuator are often mechanical in nature. Failing the above key test, I'd suggest listening to the actuator while another person toggles the key... if it makes some sounds but no plunger movement occurs, then it is likely broken.

An OBD reader is a handy tool. If the vehicle has generated some codes, they can help with diagnosis.

~toaster

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I have tried your suggestion with the key. Nothing happened. Haven't tried with someone else though. I can give that a try. I am now getting three horizontal lines on the speedo. Those weren't there previously. From what I've read, that indicates possible transmission problem. I am planning to get a OBD II scanner. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
An OBDII scanner may not give you a code if it is in the transmission. they usually only give engine codes. I assume you tried the trans reteach, but it does sound like an actuator problem. Worth trying to disconnect the battery for an hour or so and see what happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually haven't tried the reteach yet, but plan to today. I just found the process this morning on another thread. I did try disconnecting the battery but only gave it about 20 minutes.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Try a bit longer. When I was dealing with my trans shifting problem, I had to let it sit for about an hour.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Based upon what you have relayed so far, I don't think a simple transmission reteach will fix your problem. If it is a failed clutch actuator, that would likely cause it to fail the reteach.

I would have suggested reading any codes before disconnecting the battery. While current and pending codes may have been erased, possibly historic ones may remain. A basic OBD reader will typically not readout transmission errors... a more advanced ($$$) unit is required.

~toaster

1 - 10 of 10 Posts