Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... This is lovely.

My housekeeper had let the car's Optima battery go flat while I was off on the road, resulting in her not being able to start it, coupled with the Three Lines of Death in the shifter dash display. A few days on the Battery Tender and the tranny teach-in procedures got the engine running and the transmission to remember that it was indeed a transmission and not a coffee grinder, but...

Now the car is plagued with error codes - flashing ABS warning, flashing triangle, speedo stops working intermittently, I'm sure the FI computer is all SNAFU'ed up 'cuz the fuel range is shyte. I took the car in to valet the summer wheels and put a new set of Blizzaks on the winter alloys, and they checked the battery didn't have a dead cell or a loose connection...

Sigh. Looks like it's off to the dealership... $$$$$$$$

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
I would try disconnecting the battery for an hour and then reconnect it now that it is fully charged. Charging it with a battery tender may have given it such a slow charge rate that the low voltages might have confused the computer. Worth a try anyhow....

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hope they really checked the cables!!! Also, I've had two Optimas fail in my Shelbys. My Harley's throw ABS codes if the cables vibrate loose.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... That didn't solve anything. The battery checks out as solid, no bad cells or anything, so the problems are in the various computers onboard the car. Looks like I'll be paying a visit to Bloomfield Hills this friday after all.

Optimas are great batteries, but they're not miracles. You still have to charge and maintain them, just like your average lead-acid battery. They're just harder to kill. I seriously doubt any OEM battery or any other popular replacement would have done any better, with the car having been left parked for three months.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was mostly harmless...

Turned out to be about half a billion "Low Voltage" error codes jamming up the car's assorted computers... They cleared the codes, repaired an actual problem with the car (replaced a broken valve stem/TPMS sensor) and I was out the door in an hour and a half, and just $100 poorer (for the hour of diagnosis; they didn't charge me for anything else, not even the wheel sensor).

Turns out one of those codes is going to be recurring; it seems that someone overfilled the fuel tank once by click-topping it off, and the gas slopped down the vent tube & into the charcoal canister, ruining it. I need to replace the canister and a purge valve at some point. It seems my starter is also slowly on its way out. Plenty of time for those repairs, once I'm back out on the road after next week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts