Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
From the article...

"The Solo is more similar to the three-wheeled Elio, a two-person-tandem electric car by the company of the same name. With a range of 84 miles, Elio Motors’ bare-bones EV has a starting price of just $7300. Electra Meccanica’s Solo is twice as expensive as the Elio, with a starting price of about U.S. $15,140."

If I am not mistaken, Elio is said to get a highway mileage rating of up to 84 mpg, although that claim came before they had an actual production car to test

·
17,479 Posts
Did you see Elio bad-mouthing smart on their homepage?
Yup. They think the Elio is incredibly revolutionary when they're using a design strategy that's as old as time itself. Who knew making a car lighter, smoother, and pairing it to a weak engine would make it get a lot of MPG?!?!?!? >:D

Now let's see them achieve 80 mpg while being as safe as a smart. :p

Reactions: Brabus007

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,765 Posts
With a range of 84 miles, Elio Motors’ bare-bones EV has a starting price of just $7300.
Or so says Car & Driver? If only they had an EV? Again, NOTHING new happening here with the HELLio?

Did you see Elio bad-mouthing smart on their homepage?
Elio can diss smart all they want but until they have a PRODUCTION (ICE) vehicle, who cares? :shrug:

·
Banned
844 Posts
The Elio reminds me of the Bricklin from the 70's.
In my opinion it will never be a commercial reality...
i was almost gonna put money down on an Elio, had the oil analysed on my smart last year, next to no metals in it, so at 60K miles it had no significant wear, i decided then to drive the wheels off my smart. i usually get a new car every 10 years, i'm hitting year 9 next month, the poor thing is worth next to nothing as a trade in now. in '98, i ended up selling a 10 year old subaru justy for $600, purchase price in '88 was $6000. my smart would need 2 new axles and the wiring for the seat airbags checked, if some SANE person was gonna buy it, that makes the car worth ZERO. i'll be driving my ZERO for an indefinite time to come. i might just change my license plates from RONIN 42 to ZERO 42, some pothead might steal them then LOL.

·
Banned
844 Posts
mrbadexample;1428018 i might just change my license plates from RONIN 42 to ZERO 42 said:
well, a dyslexic pothead, i dunno... i just renewed my plates this morning, they expire every january, since i bought the car in january '08. i'll have to check with the state to see if "ZERO 42" is available, i'd bet it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts