1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mar 14, 2016 @ 12:13 PM</TIME> Forbes says -

Three-Wheel $6,800 Delayed (Again), Could Be Too Little, Too Late

The official launch of Elio’s tiny three-wheeled, two-seat 84-mpg car has been delayed yet again, with the company now suggesting it will debut sometime during 2017 “at a date to be determined as the company continues to seek additional funding.”

In the meantime, the first 100 pre-production models, set to be assembled at the company’s Shreveport, LA factory during the fourth quarter of 2016 (where, ironically, Hummers used to be built), will be offered to one or more fleet buyers, essentially to raise cash in the interim.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2016/03/14/three-wheel-6800-elio-delayed-again-could-be-too-little-too-late/#3184712c56c6

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
No surprise there....

And in 2017, they will delay it until 2018, unless the whole thing goes belly up first...:shrug:

Hate to say "I told you so", but I told you so...>:D

I spent way to many years in automotive seeing what it takes to make a successful vehicle, and Elio has none of it.

Truthfully, it's a shame. It is an interesting concept, but it's poorly executed, and WAY under-funded...

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
This is not new info. the only thing different is who will get the first 100 off the line. At any rate, I do not want to punch a dead horse, My smart is still going strong and I can wait. Time will tell....

·
17,384 Posts
According to Elio's SEC filings, those first 100 cars were for internal testing only, not to be sold off...But they're going to sell them anyway. It's a pathetically desperate cash grab...and not likely to please the SEC or Elio's backers. :(

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is not new info. the only thing different is who will get the first 100 off the line.
The cost to fire up "The Line" for only 100 (fleet vehicles) would seem cost prohibitive, probably better handled by their new partner Roush?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I probably bought the world's most expensive T-shirt at $1,000 when I grabbed an early spot in the Elio line back in November of 2013 (#1,957 out of over 50,000 so far) Needless to say, I've got my fingers crossed for them to succeed.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I hate to say it but.... I didn't put money down on one as I did not think I could tie up the cash until I got a few things paid off. I was hoping my smart would last until maybe the 2nd year of production.... It didn't... I thought I could hold out until they started production, Got another smart a few weeks ago. .. Nuff said!

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,063 Posts
I wonder if there is any interest in the Elio in any other country....like maybe the U.K ? I wonder if they even know about it?

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
According to Elio's SEC filings, those first 100 cars were for internal testing only, not to be sold off...But they're going to sell them anyway. It's a pathetically desperate cash grab...and not likely to please the SEC or Elio's backers. :(
That's what you say when you have blank checks. This is what you do when you have no sustainable cash flow.

Not Elio Motors first deviation from "best practices" or a reasonable Business Model?

What prudent business would BUY a fleet of 100 unproven (safety/reliability?) vehicles and expose themselves to the liability of an employee becoming a crash test dummy?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
What prudent business would BUY a fleet of 100 unproven (safety/reliability?) vehicles and expose themselves to the liability of an employee becoming a crash test dummy?

I'd buy one of those 100, and lock it away. Assuming doomsday for Elio, it'd become a relic worth more than its admission price.

Imagine what the worth today would be of a never-driven factory-produced Dale.

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd buy one of those 100, and lock it away. Assuming doomsday for Elio, it'd become a relic worth more than its admission price.
Probably at least 100 of the 50,000+ with paid reservations had, or are now having, that same thought?

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I said it before, If I only got a expensive T-shirt and helped an american start up make a go of it I will be ok with it. I knew the risk when I went into the deal and in my view, there was no hidden factors. that being said, It was MY cash and I am proud to have helped a true american start up make a go of it.....

1 - 20 of 312 Posts