Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
ELIO should hold back 25 of those production cars [per original plan] for fit and finish evaluation, and safety testing.

Can't expect the real-world 100 to do safety testing on street.

ELIO needs a new marketing team to rev up interest.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
It'll be interesting – assuming that 100 cars do make it into fleet use – to learn how far it falls short of 84 mpg in real-world use. I expect that Elio will sell those first ones at/around $6800, just so they can say there was once something they didn't lie about.

Edit: Does anyone think that Pep Boys will be servicing these first 100 fleet chariots?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Elio's stated motivation for selling 100 of its tricycles to fleets included (1) raising cash, and (2) having a pseudo proving ground.

If Elio needs to chase $680,000 by hawking untested deathtraps, I smell desperation. If anything, the 100 vehicles should be "loaned" with extensive disclaimers to any fleet department crazy enough to put a valued "test driver" in one of those before sending him/her out on public roads. The risk of hi-speed tragedies and unfavorable feedback is significantly greater by selling vehicles than if they were to be loaned, or even short-term leased. Tragedy-starved media wolves would jump on any chance to fuel the fears of 50K reservation holders over Elio's failure to prove its vehicles properly before selling them to scurry down the highway of life and death.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I won't judge the company on how they use the first 100 cars. I just think that actually producing 100 cars is a step towards having a real car to offer vs the 10 or so prototype cars they have made for show. Having a 3rd party drive and review the cars would give better information about the car than if Elio Motors drove the cars themselves. I have long questioned their ability to meet both the price and fuel economy of their initial claims. Both claims were made without an actual car in production and if my understanding is correct, without an engine design.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,049 Posts
I think Elio started tooting their horns too early in this endeavor. I know they wanted to drum up money and public support for their product, but they should have had more meat on their plate before all the boasting. At least have a few vehicles tested before releasing anything to the public to show. They have dragged this on and on for years and it makes them look very flakey. It seems they spread the butter a little thin on the bread and it's coming back to bite them in a hard way. Even if you were excited to buy an Elio, after a FEW years of waiting and waiting you loose your enthusiasm for the product. If I had of wanted one in the beginning I would have already talked myself out of it 5 times and they still don't have a presentable product. The old adage that says "put the cart before the horse" applies here.(just my worthless opinion)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I saw the Elio booth at the LA Auto Show this last year. I couldn't get my wife and son to go see it. I did get them to the smart booth. My son and I spent a bit of time in the various 453s they had, while my wife, if I recall correctly, wandered elsewhere....

·
Premium Member
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Elio's stated motivation for selling 100 of its tricycles to fleets included (1) raising cash, and (2) having a pseudo proving ground.

If Elio needs to chase $680,000 by hawking untested deathtraps, I smell desperation. If anything, the 100 vehicles should be "loaned" with extensive disclaimers to any fleet department crazy enough to put a valued "test driver" in one of those before sending him/her out on public roads. The risk of hi-speed tragedies and unfavorable feedback is significantly greater by selling vehicles than if they were to be loaned, or even short-term leased. Tragedy-starved media wolves would jump on any chance to fuel the fears of 50K reservation holders over Elio's failure to prove its vehicles properly before selling them to scurry down the highway of life and death.
Agreed, not sure how this will help as $680,000 cash flow may hit the books BUT, the cost of 100 hand built Elios will hardly be a breakeven?

Based on the history behind this, anyone "buying" or borrowing this "fleet" should holdback a significant amount of the total as a reserve against unwarranted failures etc. The RISK is real not only to an employee (aka crash test dummy) but to the general public - NOT a lotto many should want to play . . . :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
11,266 Posts
Funny nothing is being posted on here about Tesla selling cars they have yet designed or built, and taking orders that they say can't be filled for at least 5 years...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Funny nothing is being posted on here about Tesla selling cars they have yet designed or built, and taking orders that they say can't be filled for at least 5 years...
Apples and oranges really, but you are right. The difference is that Tesla has managed to deliver product and expanding capabilities to increase capacity. Elio is a work in progress, albeit very slow and that has it's own rewards from a public that isn't totally onside. :|

·
Premium Member
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Tesla and Elio - one from a visionary who "plays with rockets" and has a proven track record, the other no track just a slow motion train wreck. :shrug:

So Apples to Oranges . . .

·
Premium Member
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Guess we will see when Tesla starts production on their 'New, never seen' model orange and can compare it to Elio 'apple'
The learning curve on the first year Tesla models has not been without some significant hurdles but with their exemplary Customer Service, they have bent over backward to make things right.

The early failures on the Model X SUV "Falcon Wing" rear doors may be proof that sometimes you don't do it just because it's cool?

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/early-build-tesla-model-x-suvs-face-quality-133951162.html

When Tesla moves from their current, very limited production PREMIUM scenario to make the higher volume "mid-range" Model 3 with so few service centers their true abilities as a car manufacturer may be further tested?

Personally, I would have no problem handing Elon my check for $1,000 for a Model 3 but only if my "place" in line was beyond year one.

Only time will tell but as of today, I expect to see a production Tesla Model 3 long before Elio fires up the "factory."

·
Registered
430 Posts
As a car enthusiast I was surprised to not have heard about this contraption until I joined these smart forums..! (shows how bad their Marketing/PR is?)

·
Registered
912 Posts
They've designed the car, they just haven't finished the production equipment yet (it's in progress) and Tesla is now at least somewhat-established as a vehicle manufacturer and has considerable financial backing. Although they have something of a reputation for missing deadlines they still have gotten the job done in the past, if perhaps late by (typically) months. I don't think it will surprise anyone if Tesla is 6 months late to production with the Model 3.

I do think Tesla is a few thousand $ low with their MSRP on the Model 3. I have yet to be convinced that this car can be built with a viable business model at that MSRP but I also have little doubt that they will get built.

Elio ... has missed their original start-of-production date by a lot more than that. Years, in fact. And with no end in sight. They're not an established manufacturer and they do not have much financial backing.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I read the announcement from Elio that the engineering has been completed on the chassis with the E-series vehicles to follow.

21 - 40 of 312 Posts