Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
"Leaving only crash testing to complete before production"?

What I see in the picture is just a computer model.

How about:
- Building preproduction tooling (for ALL of the obviously stamped sheet metal parts in that computer model)
- Building prototypes for validation testing
- Doing a whole bunch of testing outside of crash testing
- Building production stamping tooling (for all of the stamped sheet metal parts)
- Building the automation equipment for welding the parts together

Study that computer model and look at all the bits that have to be welded or bolted together. They're not showing the firewall and the floor, either.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The prototypes shown thus far have been cobbled together under the skin. If they want any of that crash testing (and other validation testing) to be meaningful, the prototypes have to be representative of production vehicles. All the stampings have to be dimensionally correct, all the welds have to be in the same spots and of comparable quality, etc. No more cobbling together.

How do you make dimensionally correct sheet metal stampings when the production equipment doesn't exist yet? You make the dies (they're expensive) but rather than installing them in a mechanical press that knocks out 60 parts per minute, you put them in a hydraulic press that stamps the parts out slowly and one at a time. But the die has to exist in order to make the part,.and there's a fair bit of design work that has to go into each one, and it's pretty normal to have to tweak the tooling to reflect reality to get the final part dimensions correct. It is no small chore and every production vehicle has to go through this for every single stamping, and there's a lot of them. With a couple thousand people on the case, spread between a number of different suppliers, and the usual amount of arguing and finger pointing and back-and-forth when two parts that are supposed to fit together don't, the job gets done.

It's one thing to make the parts fit together on a computer screen, but that last bit of tweaking, dealing with what happens when you weld things together and the heat distorts their shape, or you stamp the part to a certain shape and it springs back a little, has to be done in the real world. It's a lot of work.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Funny nothing is being posted on here about Tesla selling cars they have yet designed or built, and taking orders that they say can't be filled for at least 5 years...
That's probably for another thread, but yes. 300,000 orders. I didn't preorder because I need to teach the dealers about Orphan lists. That's the line I want to be in. :D

·
Registered
665 Posts
$10,'260 is what I got mine up to.with the automatic being the biggest hit. Insane amount of color choices for both inside and out.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The retro wheel fenders should be standard, with the 'standard' fenders as the option. The auto-trans is a bit pricey. I was surprised that TPMS is an option and not standard equipment. Deciding between the creamsicle or rocket silver colors. Did my config using Chrome browser.

·
Premium Member
7,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Is Elio still calling their car a motorcycle? :shrug:
This week it is a "2-Seater Vehicle" or a "three wheeled vehicle." Either description would probably allow their attorney to sleep better?

But they do have a NEW limited edition t-shirt . . . :shrug:

And it looks like Paul and Dave (Schembri) are now using smart as their un-American poster child?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Tesla deposits are 100% refundable. Apples to oranges.

There are refundable deposits available. It's your choice whether to make a refundable or non-refundable deposit. Your wait is longer for the refundable type...

Might be wiser to make the cheapest $100 non-refundable deposit than the $1000 refundable type?

·
Premium Member
7,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Might be wiser to make the cheapest $100 non-refundable deposit than the $1000 refundable type?
Consider it an Elio Lottery Ticket, don't invest more than you can afford to lose?

But then again, a NEW deposit will get you a t-shirt so it's all good?

·
17,360 Posts
Their site also claims the Elio to be the most affordable vehicle ever made...which is factually not true. lol
Now, if they went with "most affordable new car sold in America" that would be more accurate.

Regardless of what you think of Elio, their marketing department is definitely reaching really far. :D

·
Registered
912 Posts
There's no news in that article; it's click-bait.

It's always been part of Elio's business plan to rely on that advanced-vehicles loan, it's exceptionally unlikely that they will actually get it because there's nothing advanced about the vehicle. They applied for the loan a long time ago, and nothing has happened.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
They're getting the fuel efficiency because of the aerodynamic chassis design increasing fuel economy and likely saving tons of weight. Whether it will easily hit 80 mpg's or not is another matter, and whether it will sell tons of vehicles when folks will need a motorcycle license to drive it in most states, is also another matter...

Time will tell. I'm cautiously optimistic in this product.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
They're getting the fuel efficiency because of the aerodynamic chassis design increasing fuel economy and likely saving tons of weight. Whether it will easily hit 80 mpg's or not is another matter, and whether it will sell tons of vehicles when folks will need a motorcycle license to drive it in most states, is also another matter...

Time will tell. I'm cautiously optimistic in this product.
Once again, misinformation. In fact in most states you will not need a motorcycle license.

41 - 60 of 312 Posts