Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how many smarties are thinking of going Elio if/when they start production? I'm very curious...

·
17,350 Posts
I would get an Elio...though I wouldn't trade a smart for one!!!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I think I would just buy a motorcycle. A Ninja 300 gets similar FE to what the Elio is promising, costs thousands less and is easier to park.

·
17,350 Posts
I think I would just buy a motorcycle. A Ninja 300 gets similar FE to what the Elio is promising, costs thousands less and is easier to park.
Wow, the Ninja 300 is only $5k. Amazing, I always thought sport bikes were at least 5x that cost.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An Elio will not be a similar experience to a motorcycle. If you like motorcycles, and are expecting an Elio to mimic a bike, you won't be very happy with it. I ride a motorcycle, and have a smart, and I think my next caged vehicle will either be a Prius or an Elio. save money on my commuter/rain/cold weather vehicle, spend more on riding/vacations/etc!

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
An Elio will not be a similar experience to a motorcycle. If you like motorcycles, and are expecting an Elio to mimic a bike, you won't be very happy with it. I ride a motorcycle, and have a smart, and I think my next caged vehicle will either be a Prius or an Elio. save money on my commuter/rain/cold weather vehicle, spend more on riding/vacations/etc!
Very, very true !!!

You "ride" 2 wheelers......as soon as that 3rd wheel hits the ground ... you"drive" it :p

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Elio looks like it would be a fun vehicle. I am delaying putting a reservation in until I actually sit in one. I am always cautious about the first year of anything.
I noticed in Bob's pictures the front pillars seem to be in the way but maybe not...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I thought the Elio thing sounded interesting when I first heard about it. But, it is my understanding they don't have any cars in production. They have a prototype and are still looking for funding to get started.

I don't want to buy an unproven car from a startup. My biggest complaint with smart is the fact I need to go to a Mercedes dealer for repairs. The others shops don't carry the parts needed for a smart fortwo. I can take my Chevy anywhere, and there are tons of places close to home. I have to drive out of my way to bring my smart in and usually that means dropping it off and picking it up again. The smart cars had a history in Europe and a fairly large number of dealers opened when the Smart cars first came to the US. I doubt the Elio will be in the same position unless another car company decides to lend the financial and dealer network to support them. I guess they could use only stock motorcycle parts, but until there are enough of the elio cars out there, the mechanics might still shy away from doing work on a car they don't have experience with.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
3/17/2014 Elio Motors, Inc SEC Filing Form D

Same song, different verse?

Appears that all Elio Motors really has is potential buyer deposits and some blank checks?

New SECURITY OFFERING

$30,000,000 Offer
$ 100,000 Sold (1 investor)
$29,900,000 Remaining

Investment minimum is $100,000 but before you write that check know that under "Use of Proceeds" $875,000 is shown earmarked to go to the Executive Officer, Directors and Promoter . . .

Note that this new Security Offering is 3 times greater than the previous $10,000,000 offer dated 11/2/2011!

http://pdf.secdatabase.com/625/0000949353-14-000073.pdf

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
While I find the ELIO to be very interesting, I love my Smart and intend to drive it to its limit. Maybe in 6 to 12 years I'd consider getting one... if they are still in business. :D

Bob Diaz

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
They (Elio) have stated in numerous articles and interviews that the car will use existing technology, and off the shelf parts that are readily available at any auto parts store, and they announced an alliance with Pep Boys auto parts.

Although none have been built yet (except for the 4 prototypes) it looks like they are doing their homework before the production units roll out. I'd give them a chance!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'll give them a chance - but I won't give them any cash until I see a production model available for sale. There's a huge difference between Elio & company versus an established car company and I suspect Elio's going to need far more cash than he'll get before a real production model can be built. I hope I'm wrong - it looks like a vehicle I'd like to drive!

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Just went all in.... I will keep my smart also.
DITTO (12/23/13):D

They (Elio) have stated in numerous articles and interviews that the car will use existing technology, and off the shelf parts that are readily available at any auto parts store, and they announced an alliance with Pep Boys auto parts.

Although none have been built yet (except for the 4 prototypes) it looks like they are doing their homework before the production units roll out. I'd give them a chance!!
Indeed they are....

I'll give them a chance - but I won't give them any cash until I see a production model available for sale. There's a huge difference between Elio & company versus an established car company and I suspect Elio's going to need far more cash than he'll get before a real production model can be built. I hope I'm wrong - it looks like a vehicle I'd like to drive!
Well,

We made the Columbus show yesterday :)

Keep in mind, this was the P3 (silver) not the P4 (orange) BUT, I must say that I am totally impressed :D

IF you have not seen this machine up close and personal, you really need to make one of the shows !!!

I'm 6'5", big-boned and "fluffy", with a 36" inseam. My bride is MAYBE a 28" inseam.

We both fit in the driver's seat with PLENTY of room left and in tandem, we fit "snugly" but very comfortably.

We will be making REGULAR, 800 mile (one way, yes to VA) trips in ours :p

The motor will be a 900cc non-turboed (oh, cornfield industries, where are you :D), port injected, 3 pot (made specifically for the Eliio) with a 5 speed manual or 5 speed automatic tranny.

Can't wait to take delivery !!! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts