Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i was driving home and had my hand resting on the pass seat and noticed heat on my arm. so i started feeling around and noticed how warm the emergency brake handle was and the farther back i went the hotter it got. has anyone come up with a solution to prevent this heat from radiating into the cabin?

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,571 Posts
As I recall, Smart Madness sells a small rubber boot that goes around the hand brake handle to prevent a lot of the heat from coming into the cabin.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
being on social security i hve to be frugal so i got piece of foam pipe insulation and cut it to length from the handle grip to the firewall. doesn't look to bad
Maybe you can take your engineering prowess to the next level with one of those bicycle foam crossbar/handlebar covers that secures with velcro?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I bought parking brake lever covers for both of our 451 smart cars when we first acquired them. I bought a black vinyl one on e-bay which is really nice. When I was looking to acquire one for our 09 Pure that was purchased in 2011, all I could find was one made out of cloth which is ok. I haven't seen these items offered for years. You may be able to find an upholsterer who could fabricate one for you. The cloth cover was also purchased on e-bay.

·
17,479 Posts
Is this something that only the earlier 451s do? Or am I crazy?

In my experience with my 451, the parking brake is only hot in the summer when I'm first getting into the car after it baked in the sun all day. Once the interior cools down though, it also cools down to about room temp.

I mean, I've heard of this being a thing, just never experienced it for myself. :)

Reactions: jwight

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
foam piece stays in place nicely don't need velcro. yup handle gets hot from engine heat radiating to the handle. i didn't put my hand on the handle. my hand was on the pass seat and my arm felt heat coming up from it. the cabin doesn't need any more heat. one person at rest gives off 500 btus. think of two people getting in from being outside in over 80 degree weather. the a/c has to work harder. oh well ain't no big thing just thought i'd mention it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I also have this problem and I am concerned that something is wrong. My E-Brake handle is OK for about 10 minutes and then it gets really hot.

Mercedes replaced some heat shield (warranty repair) that is up under the body in that area.

I am wondering if there is something that needs repair.

I have a 4 hour drive I need to make and I am very concerned about making it all the way...

Anyone have any INFO? Thanks folks!

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,571 Posts
The heat shield they replaced is on the rear most panel of the engine compartment. It would have nothing to do with the emergency brake lever heat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts