Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can't seem to charge my car this is the 2 day having the car......where ever i plug i get 2 red lights on extension cord and 1st green light blinks then it goes to 3rd green light to blink.......is there a way around that? over ride or something

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I would be surprised if there is not some info in the owner's manual about charging. An alternative is to do some reading in the ED section of the forum.

·
Registered
210 Posts
never use an extension cord to charge the vehicle! if you are using the lvl 1 charger, i highly recommend upgrading to a level 2 charger either by bosch, clipper creek, or schneider electric... if you do see green and that the car is charging on the dash, you are fine. green bar 1 means slow charge i believe, and 3 lights is max charge. havent used one in a while so that may still be rusty hehe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok yeah it is the 110 adapter thing i am plugging in.....i was assuming it would work everywhere but it errors with the two red lights flashing manual says wiring is off aND CONTACT AN ELECTRICIAN.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Are you plugging into an older building that may not be updated to modern electrical codes? Some people will install a 3-prong power outlet in place of an older 2-prong outlet without properly upgrading the electrical wiring that connects to the outlet. This is an un-grounded outlet and the charging adapter and/or car's onboard charger will detect a ground fault (due to a missing ground wire/connection), and will cause the charging adapter cable to show the Red LED error.

If you encounter this situation, your best bet is to find a more modern & suitable 3-prong 12-15 amp power outlet. Also, if you're using any other type of 2-prong to 3-prong power adapters or cheaper extension cords that are not "Contractor Grade 10-12awg 3-prong cords", then your charging cable will error out like it has done.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
. . . i was assuming it would work everywhere but it errors with the two red lights flashing manual says wiring is off aND CONTACT AN ELECTRICIAN.
Fortunately these new fangled plug and play EV's have test circuity to save BOTH you and the neighbors from your house burning down . . .

As sent from my new fangled iTypewriter . . .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i got home thank god, i guess car still goes quite a bit after warnings of 0 battery........but if i ever get into this situation again is there a "hack" to get it working maybe running a seperate ground or something, i know it is not what i am supposed to do but you got to do what you got to do right?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would avoid "hacking" to trick the charging system into letting you charge at an incompatible power outlet/circuitry/breaker/etc. It really could be a multitude of issues with the power outlet you're trying to use. From poor quality outdated electrical wiring (especially if it's too small/thin of a wire gauge), lack of ground, or even if the breaker is too small (usually if this is the case it would just result in a tripped breaker every time you connect the charger).

The absolute best solution to your problem is to find a more suitable electrical outlet that can support the requirements... i.e., it must be a 3-Prong outlet with a grounded circuit per standard electrical codes, electrical wire must support 12-15 amps, and the circuit breaker must be rated for 15-20 amps.

If you're plugging the OEM charging cable directly into an outdoor 3-prong outlet without using an extension cord of any kind and you're still getting the Red LED Error on the charging cable, then short of upgrading the building's electrical wiring components, your only alternative is to find a better/properly wired compatible power outlet. If you must use an extension cord, then you should only use a heavy duty 10awg "Contractors Grade" extension cord (usually a thick Yellow extension cord). 50ft will work for most situations.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you can't find a suitable 110v 12-15amp power outlet, you might consider investing in a 3-prong 110v portable backup generator that can provide 12-15 amps of constant power output (1320 to 1650 watts). To be safe, I'd get a 2000 watt model that specifies it is capable/rated for 1600 watts. Some portable generators can run for 9.5 hours on 1 gal of fuel, which should be more than enough to charge your car to a level that can get you home without worry (you could probably do fine with charging from the generator for 3-4 hours).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
when grounding satellite dishes i remember we used some sort of striped wire attached to dish then some sore for water piping in the house.......just wondering i guess, because there are a ton of old houses around here......and i was thinking a hacked cord to make 220 jack out of 2x110 oulets kinda like how mantius does in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU-Gykz2ADY

·
Registered
527 Posts
This isn't the kind of equipment you want to hack or otherwise subvert error checking on.

Personally, I know the wiring in my garage as it is completely visible, and the fuse box is an old school screw in 20A fuse. I will be upgrading the wiring to prepare for a second electric car I plan on buying.

Right now, I am fine with the L1 EVSE that came with the Smart ED. I've used it at least 100 times to charge my car, and it has not failed me yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you can't find a suitable 110v 12-15amp power outlet, you might consider investing in a 3-prong 110v portable backup generator that can provide 12-15 amps of constant power output (1320 to 1650 watts). To be safe, I'd get a 2000 watt model that specifies it is capable/rated for 1600 watts. Some portable generators can run for 9.5 hours on 1 gal of fuel, which should be more than enough to charge your car to a level that can get you home without worry (you could probably do fine with charging from the generator for 3-4 hours).
can someone link me to a lighter/smaller generator that will work for smart......i hate having no safety net for losing power

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
KGP4death, you may just have an outlet that has lost its' tension to make a good electrical connection. Since you apparently have little knowledge of electrical safety and apparatus, why not hire an electrician to bring your outlet up to code or better yet, put in a 220 volt outlet suitable for charging your car. Otherwise, it is like depending on a one gallon gas can to refill your car.
Be sensible about this and make the necessary arrangements to support your electric vehicle purchase decision reliably and without risk to life, limb, and burning down your house.
It's like the most basic insurance that you wouldn't want to be without.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts