Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
I've had to buy a couple of those over the years.

Len

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,810 Posts
I ended up getting these (alluminum) so they don't crack anymore.
I wonder if one of those would work on the radio knob on the 451. Like many, mine has gotten sticky and gooey to the touch. I have tried some vacuum caps that I had, but could not find the correct size in my odds and ends drawer.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I wonder if one of those would work on the radio knob on the 451. Like many, mine has gotten sticky and gooey to the touch. I have tried some vacuum caps that I had, but could not find the correct size in my odds and ends drawer.
If radio knob is sticky, take some nail polish remover (or Afta or similar) and a hand full of q-tips and take off all the sticky, black ex-paint. White knob underneath will look good.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,097 Posts
I wonder if one of those would work on the radio knob on the 451. Like many, mine has gotten sticky and gooey to the touch.
And you probably thought that your radio knob was special?

Sorry, just another smart 451 FEATURE!

Seriously if anyone has found a solution to the gooey radio knob, please share…

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I was super gluing crack ones, back together. It was only the turn signal one, that fell off. Bought my share of gray color ones too.

·
3,810 Posts
I tried the nail polish remover and it worked as promised. I used 4 or 5 Q-tips and the nail polish remover. The cotton swabs do turn black quickly, so keep changing to a clean one. Now the knob is goo free and light greyish/white in color. I thought about painting it black with some quality paint, but it is fine for now. Hats off to phillysmart!! Thank you.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I tried the nail polish remover and it worked as promised. I used 4 or 5 Q-tips and the nail polish remover. The cotton swabs do turn black quickly, so keep changing to a clean one. Now the knob is goo free and light greyish/white in color. I thought about painting it black with some quality paint, but it is fine for now. Hats off to phillysmart!! Thank you.
Can you pull off the knob and repaint it?

·
3,810 Posts
Can you pull off the knob and repaint it?
I have heard to remove the knob, you must remove the radio faceplate to get to the knob. There is enough space around the knob to paint it black with a tiny artist brush. I was able to get the edge of the Q-tip inside the space to remove all the old black goo. I am going to use it as is for a while to see if it gets sticky and gooey again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts