Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another "sucessful" smart crash. My grandaughter totaled hers last week and didn't even miss a days work. She was distracted by a kitten on the floor, ran off the road, overcorrected, crossed the road, went nose down into the ditch, somersalted three times without hitting the ground then rolled once. Doesn't remember how fast she was going....probably at least 60. She crawled out, walked about a quarter mile to find a phone, then walked back to find her phone. Car was lying on it's side with the engine still running. Both doors still open and latch shut, but most of the body panels are trashed. Two rims (spokes) were broken, one strut bent,windshield cracked , rear window and tailgate broken. She has quite a few bruises and a bad seat-belt rash but is otherwise OK. Engine checks out OK and I'm going to try to find a good smart with a blown engine and put her engine in it. I want her back on the road in what I consider one of the "smartest" and safest cars on the road!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm baffled by the seemingly remote environment where this terrible incident happened! Are you saying there was no one around to witness this? And still she had to find help a quarter of a mile away?? I know your country is big but YIKES!! I'm really glad she got away with the few non life threatening injuries that she incurred, all thanks in no small part to the fantastic protection from the car. From what you describe as the the last "flight", I'd say that 60mph maybe a tiny bit conservative. BUT...no matter. She is safe and in one piece and I'm sure I'm not alone in thanking God (and the smart design team) that the outcome is as such.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Really glad to hear she's ok. Gotta love the smart designers.
That being said, how did the kitten fare?

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I'm baffled by the seemingly remote environment where this terrible incident happened!
Glad she's mostly alright, of course! Your bewilderment puzzles me though. A quarter mile is only a 4-5 minute walk. In times past I've walked for hours before reaching "civilization".

·
17,370 Posts
I'm baffled by the seemingly remote environment where this terrible incident happened! Are you saying there was no one around to witness this? And still she had to find help a quarter of a mile away?? I know your country is big but YIKES!! I'm really glad she got away with the few non life threatening injuries that she incurred, all thanks in no small part to the fantastic protection from the car. From what you describe as the the last "flight", I'd say that 60mph maybe a tiny bit conservative. BUT...no matter. She is safe and in one piece and I'm sure I'm not alone in thanking God (and the smart design team) that the outcome is as such.
It's 'Murica, even in populated areas with people to witness crashes, crime, etc...you'd be hard pressed to find someone who'd actually report it. People are more likely to whip out their phone to snap a pic or post on YouTube.

There were many places on my trip home from California where if I had fallen off the road, it could've been days (if ever) before anyone would find me.

Shop hermit, I hope you find her a good replacement smarty, and glad she's okay! :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
What a story to tell others! Impressive that you'll save the engine. Sounds like a major project.
Wonder what is the estimated number hours a successful engine transplant would take to complete?

·
Super Moderator
11,292 Posts
I have been close to removing a motor a few times. With the right equipment, it is not too bad. Glad she is OK!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Awesome that she is OK, and was wearing a seatbelt. These smart cars seem like beach balls they like to roll over, and over, when kicked. I trust the kitten is well too. Perhaps Daimler would like these crash stats/stories - they could create a website entry as to the safeness of the smart car.

·
Banned
845 Posts
sounds like how i felt after open heart surgery last month, huge bruise on left thigh, pain in the right shoulder and constant pressure in the middle of my chest. i woke up a few hours later, got out of bed, with 3 more tubes coming out of my tummy to pee. had to call a nurse, was in intensive care with an alarmed bed :p

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The crash-site was on a small rural black-top and she came to rest about 30 yards from the road in chest-high prairie grass behind some roadside brush. Had she not been able to get out of the car, it could have been days before we found her, as the car was not visible from the road and there was very little evidence to show she had left the road. The deputy sheriff who investigated the accident said he'd never seen that kind of crash before that someone had walked away from . I have removed and replaced smart engines several times. It's not really all that big a job if you have a good hard surface to work on, a big garage jack and metric hand tools. Working by myself, it's about a two-day job.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
.... not to be "that guy".... but any pics of what the car looks like? Curious as to just how well it held up. My sister-in-law always says (either jokingly or not... haven't figured that out yet) that Smart cars aren't safe, no matter how many times i tell her otherwise. A pic of one after going through something like that might change her mind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts