Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 model.

The other day the check engine light came on, with the P0010 OBD-II Trouble Code: "A" Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 1).

I took out the variable valve solenoid, cleaned it and cleared the code, but the error immediately returned.
I put in a variable valve solenoid from another smart car, cleared the code, but this did not solve the problem.

The car is driving alright, without any noticeable rough idle.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated...the dealer wants to charge me $200 just for diagnostics.

Cheers!
RP

·
Banned
844 Posts
maybe the actual "sender" is faulty? invest $70 in an Ultra-Gauge, it reads the codes and makes a fine trip computer, for $160 you can get a Scan Gauge II that reads codes and clears them and is also a trip computer. (my UG refused to clear codes for some reason). if it runs fine, and you don't get an "anal" emissions test every year or two, i would let it be, unless you want to chase down a loose connection or the sensor itself. they so over-complicate things these days, i used to work on cars with a set of wrenches, screw driver, dwell meter and strobe light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!

Yesterday I did try to narrow it down to a sensor and swapped out both the camshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor using sensors from my father in law's car. I cleared the engine light using my OBD II reader which cost $20 on amazon (Veepeak). Unfortunately the CEL just continues to come back a few seconds after the car is started.

If it is a faulty sender, would the better OBD readers inform me of that?

I'll continue to drive it, so long as there are no symptoms of it running roughly, and see if I can't narrow it down to a faulty connection, or other component of the variable valve timing system.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
You could try disconnecting the battery for about 1/2 hour and see if that clears the code. It might be something that needs the MB starr computer to calibrate it when you replace the sensor. If it runs OK, put a piece of tape over the light!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply,

I'll try disconnecting the battery for half an hour after swapping out the sensors and see if that can reset the timing. It is very possible that I would need the MB star computer to reset the timing...unfortuantely that thing seems to cost mucho dinero, so I think if it continues to run ok I will get opt for the piece of tape.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if you solved this issue with your car. I have a 2014 Smart fortwo and getting the same issue. Problem keeps coming back after I clear it. Replacing the the solenoid and camshaft sensor did not help. I am using a MaxiDAS DS808 to read the codes, and can clear it just find - but it keeps coming back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts