Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new-to-me 2016 has some sort of triangular wingnuts topping the engine cover screws. These are difficult to manipulate with my fingers. Is there a tool for them? I don't want to mangle them with pliers.

Related to this: is there a good way to hold the rubber/carpet mat out of the way?

Finally: how often should I check the oil levels? The engine doesn't seem to be using much, if any, at 1000 mile checks. Should I place my trust in German engineering and just use the oil light as an indicator of need?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I have rolled the carpet and pad back and shoved it behind the seat backs. If you look into those “wingnuts” you will see they take a certain size torx? driver. Can’t remember the size. As far as oil consumption goes, at 22-23k miles on my ‘16 I have yet to find any significant oil consumption between changes. I do change at 7500 mile intervals.

·
Registered
251 Posts
torox

I use a torox set from amazon ,on an electric screwdriver but after using this method it will ruin the plastic on the center ,you have to secure and unsecure this plastic bolts by hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts