Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2008 Smart Car for two Passion. I've owned it for a month. The first two weeks I owned it I never once heard what I assume to be the engine fan come on. Yesterday I had an oil change from a regular garage. Not a Smart dealer and not a Mercedes dealer. Now the fan seems to be coming on regularly. Is it possible that something he did has affected the car? Or is this just something normal maybe I did not notice before?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thank you in advance. And thank you for all the previous questions I had answered what a great forum.

·
Super Moderator
11,214 Posts
The fan will come on when the A/C is used otherwise it only comes on when the motor gets above around 220 degrees (just a guess) A/C also comes on when you use the defrost mode. outside temp needs to be above a certain point too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize it is a three cylinder. I'm surprised when the fan turns on when I'm not using the AC. I would not imagine the engine would reach 220 degrees from a 5 mile jot around town?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Did you switch the ventilation to "defrost"? A/C comes on by default if the defrost is on and the ambient temperature is high enough for the system to operate (and that's what might have changed in the last couple of weeks).

·
Super Moderator
11,214 Posts
defrost is when the center knob is pointing straight up (if you didn't know)
also can come on if the recirc button is pressed (right hand push button next to heat/cold lever)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts