Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed when sitting at a stoplight (not driving)that the engine will hiccup, like it is misfiring. This seems to happen maybe 2 or 3 times a week. The motor never dies but it sure has you thinking it will. It lasts about 3 seconds. T he plugs are new iridum.

any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have noticed when sitting at a stoplight (not driving)that the engine will hiccup, like it is misfiring. This seems to happen maybe 2 or 3 times a week. The motor never dies but it sure has you thinking it will. It lasts about 3 seconds. T he plugs are new iridum.

any ideas?

I have the same. I ran a code test and came up 0302. Misfire on 2. Could be the coil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,598 Posts
Could be coil, plug gap, the plug itself, compression, carbon build up, or some other issues I'm not remembering. I would first check your plugs for gap and fouling, run a compression test, and check the coils.

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had similar problem on my other car. I cleaned the MAF sensor, and also cleaned the throttle body plate and the problem went away. Also the car felt more lively after the cleaning as well. I'm probably going to do that for the Smart in another 20k miles.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Dirty pivot points on the throttle plate in the throttle body is apparently pretty common on these cars. If throttle plate sticks a bit, then idle is leaning out with a bit too much air for the fuel being delivered at idle. It never misses at fast idle when cold because throttle plate is open more, and more fuel is being delivered.

·
Banned
214 Posts
It happened to me once in the gas version. Sorry, it only happened once and started running really rough after that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts