Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,860 Posts
2008 - 2015 (451) years were advertised as making 70 hp in America.

2016 - 2017 (453) make 89 hp.

If you're a lucky one with a car older than 2008 (a 450), you're likely either making 60 hp if it's a gasser or 40 hp if it's a diesel from Canada. Like Jet said, you lose some power on the way to the ground.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
old geezer…get your glasses and a warm blanket over your legs and have a good read…

jetfuel…right behind you

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,995 Posts
Thank you, that was a very interesting article and the blankie did help a lot. I guess, as I understand it, it really does not make a lot of difference between front, rear, or mid-engine placement. There are way more contributing factors as the article pointed out.

·
Super Moderator
17,860 Posts
Just be glad that we're no longer in the days of gross horsepower!

I have a weekly column where I find some neat cars for sale across the country. Each car gets a paragraph or a few about its history and specs. It hits a little different when you find a vintage something with a chunky V8 making, oh, 300 hp, then remember that since that is gross hp before all kinds of losses it's really putting down significantly less to the wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2016 453 with the 89hp engine. It is great - plenty of power and adequate room. I test drove a 451 70hp and it felt like it had less pep and also felt much smaller. The 453 also has a supported towing mode, which I also needed for towing with an RV. Smart cars are great - wish they were still offered in the US. Maybe the crazy gas prices will bring them back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2016 453 with the 89hp engine. It is great - plenty of power and adequate room. I test drove a 451 70hp and it felt like it had less pep and also felt much smaller. The 453 also has a supported towing mode, which I also needed for towing with an RV. Smart cars are great - wish they were still offered in the US. Maybe the crazy gas prices will bring them back.
I have a lightweight aluminum trailer that I put my '09 Smart on to tow behind my rv. Don't even know it's there, it's so light.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts