Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
The new bearings will only work for a long time if the journal is undamaged (which seems unlikely)....however it's not a bad idea, worth a shot anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Can you take off the pan without pulling the engine ?
I had an oil leak during the warranty and it was a fairly simple matter of pulling the pan and re-sealing it. It took an hour or two. I would try the bearing shell replacement. It is certainly cheaper than a new engine and if successful, could go on for who knows how long.
go for it Clint and good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Pull the pan, and put some New Rod Bearing Shells in it, and button it back up, and Drive On Grass Hopper...
Brabus 007, this sounds like you have had experience perhaps with a much larger more powerful engine. Care to share that with us? More than one occasion? Nothing like a good engine story that ends on a positive note.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Brabus 007, this sounds like you have had experience perhaps with a much larger more powerful engine. Care to share that with us? More than one occasion? Nothing like a good engine story that ends on a positive note.
That's the stuff we did back in the day.

Problem was the crankshaft journal would beat out, and a new bearing would only last a few hundred miles at best.

That fix was used often by "fly by night" used car dealers. :D A2Jack

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
If it is fairly early in the detection of the knock, is there a better chance at this being a successful repair? I guess it might buy time to find a good used engine if the rest of the car is good.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
If it is fairly early in the detection of the knock, is there a better chance at this being a successful repair? I guess it might buy time to find a good used engine if the rest of the car is good.
The car has 95k on it. Engine exchange is too much unless the engine is free and the OP does all his own work.

Hi Mileage 09 passion, in good running condition, will only bring about 5 to 5.8k in a private sale. A2Jack

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am going to try to use heavier weight oil and monitor the knock. If no improvement I will look into pulling the pan and assessing the situation from there. I had always planned on driving it until it quit on me but never thought it would happen this soon.

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can you take off the pan without pulling the engine ?
Yes you can I had to pull my pan because someone changing the oil left the copper washer out. Stripped the threads trying to stop the oil leak. You have to move a couple of things but I did mine and it was pretty simple. By the way I know of a person that did two of his rod berrings and that was twenty five thousand miles ago. Good luck.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts