Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 164 Posts

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,697 Posts
If it were me, I would contact the warranty company by phone. Tell them your issues and ask them what repair shops in your area honor their service contract. I have no idea what part of the country you live in, but if your town is of reasonable size there should be several locations. It does not have to be a new car dealership. It may be an independent service center, but they will need access to the M/B Star machines. If those companies honor your warranty, they should e happy to repair you car because they are being paid by the warranty company. Forget Toyota and Mercedes, they are just going to make you crazy and you don't need that kind of treatment. There are many different service contracts available. I hope yours is a quality product and your car can be repaired to your satisfaction very soon. Good luck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If it were me, I would contact the warranty company by phone. Tell them your issues and ask them what repair shops in your area honor their service contract. I have no idea what part of the country you live in, but if your town is of reasonable size there should be several locations. It does not have to be a new car dealership. It may be an independent service center, but they will need access to the M/B Star machines. If those companies honor your warranty, they should e happy to repair you car because they are being paid by the warranty company. Forget Toyota and Mercedes, they are just going to make you crazy and you don't need that kind of treatment. There are many different service contracts available. I hope yours is a quality product and your car can be repaired to your satisfaction very soon. Good luck.
Thank you for your response I will check into what you said...I am in Ohio, in a small town but within range of many dealerships, and things like Pep Boys which sometimes are idiots LOL, but they do some good work on regular cars.
As far as Toyota they feel MB is where the car needs to go and have given me no other options,but I will call the Customer Service Center for the Gold Plan I have and see what they say.
Again...thank you.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Contact the consumer advocate or whatever they call it at your local tv station with the largest audience.

Usually one call from them gets results quickly, the dealership does not want bad publicity

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,947 Posts
Contact the consumer advocate or whatever they call it at your local tv station with the largest audience.

Usually one call from them gets results quickly, the dealership does not want bad publicity
Probably don’t want to use the Consumer Advocate of a station on which Toyota buys local advertising?

·
Registered
258 Posts
The consumer advocate (and news) part of the station SHOULD be independent of the advertising sales. They leave themselves open if not.

At least try a call to them, nothing to lose at this point.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The consumer advocate (and news) part of the station SHOULD be independent of the advertising sales. They leave themselves open if not.

At least try a call to them, nothing to lose at this point.
As of this morning I got a call from the Toyota Dealership where I bought the car and now they tell me I have to pay $155 to have the car diagnosed by the Mercedes Dealership because Toyota does not have the equipment for running codes on the smart car, only for Toyota products.
They sold me the GOLD plan and was to be honored by Toyota and if they did not have the means to even read the codes then one...why have that car there and two...why sell it and the Gold Plan?
That should be their issue not mine at no cost to me.
I was told by the Finance Advisor of Toyota that he was going to try to resolve this, and was going to call me back in about 15 minutes...I waited all day and nothing....I will call them in the morning and if i do not hear something that is to my satisfaction the attorney general will get called right after.
All 3 of them at Toyota, the assistant service manager,the head service manager and the head finance manager are passing the buck and blame on each other....assistant manager says call finance manager and finance manager says talk to the head service manager. This is no way to run a circus when all you hire is clowns.
I contacted the Attorney General for my state and they sent me an email to call them and give them further info and I will be doing that tomorrow on Friday the 7th....Thank you all for the attention to my problems and giving me advice and ideas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am getting to believe I was sold a lemon from a dealership that do not work on nor understand Smart Cars.
First let me start by saying I will be paying for this car for the next 5 years and I also paid an extra $2,000 for a GOLD plan to cover items that are past warranty...car is a 2016 and now has 21,000 miles...I am in the US and if anyone could look online for the coverage I get from here.....
And explain to me if I am covered for these two codes I will put here, as a woman I feel they are giving me the run around and I already know they hate this Smart Car as Toyota (where I bought it) will not work on them....
Codes:p26AB and B152014
They say it has to go up to Mercedes again on the 11th of May and as far as they are concerned they do not feel I am covered under this gold plan....This car is going to cost me a fortune if I made the mistake of paying for the next to the top plan and nothing is covered.
If anyone can help I am forever grateful....I just do not have the money to make the repairs right now, need the car for daughter who has seizures and other medical issues, she does not drive, I am it.
I have 2008 451 smart passion cabrio 66,000 miles, and mine did same thing , I had bad piston , so bought engine off ebay for $1100+$400 for shipping , so I decided to put in new alternator and starter, with labor it came to $4400 runs like new, used engine with 47000 miles with 6 months warranty

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am getting to believe I was sold a lemon from a dealership that do not work on nor understand Smart Cars.
First let me start by saying I will be paying for this car for the next 5 years and I also paid an extra $2,000 for a GOLD plan to cover items that are past warranty...car is a 2016 and now has 21,000 miles...I am in the US and if anyone could look online for the coverage I get from here.....
And explain to me if I am covered for these two codes I will put here, as a woman I feel they are giving me the run around and I already know they hate this Smart Car as Toyota (where I bought it) will not work on them....
Codes:p26AB and B152014
They say it has to go up to Mercedes again on the 11th of May and as far as they are concerned they do not feel I am covered under this gold plan....This car is going to cost me a fortune if I made the mistake of paying for the next to the top plan and nothing is covered.
If anyone can help I am forever grateful....I just do not have the money to make the repairs right now, need the car for daughter who has seizures and other medical issues, she does not drive, I am it.
Find a German foreign shop to work on them, I only take my smarty to Mercedes dealership for recalls.

·
Registered
340 Posts

Also check with your state and see if there is a Bureau of Automotive Repair. Also try and call Toyota Corporation regarding the fraud on the warranty.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have 2008 451 smart passion cabrio 66,000 miles, and mine did same thing , I had bad piston , so bought engine off ebay for $1100+$400 for shipping , so I decided to put in new alternator and starter, with labor it came to $4400 runs like new, used engine with 47000 miles with 6 months warranty
I don't think your solution is even remotely feasible for someone who still owes $9,000.00 on their car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I don't think your solution is even remotely feasible for someone who still owes $9,000.00 on their car.
Thank you for that comment..besides my Smart only has 21,234 miles on it and is a 2016. If it were to need an engine, a lot of that is also covered in the Gold Plan, of which I am sure Toyota would fight me on....LOL

·
Registered
48 Posts
If a used cars sits on the lot for a concern time or has issues, it is sent to the auction. If the dealer cannot make a profit it is gone from the lot.

Also note that dealerships are privately owned businesses and 1 person can own multiple different brands of dealerships.

Depending on the warranty company, most third party companies warranties are useless as they have BS clauses that exclude this and that. Factory warranties are a different beast.

That link is just a marketing brochure NOT the actual contract. You need to review the actual contract.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
If a used cars sits on the lot for a concern time or has issues, it is sent to the auction. If the dealer cannot make a profit it is gone from the lot.

Also note that dealerships are privately owned businesses and 1 person can own multiple different brands of dealerships.

Depending on the warranty company, most third party companies warranties are useless as they have BS clauses that exclude this and that. Factory warranties are a different beast.

That link is just a marketing brochure NOT the actual contract. You need to review the actual contract.
First yes that brochure is actual as when I spoke to the finance dept who sold it to me said the book that was sent to me tell me what is covered.
The Smart Car sat there for 76 days I found out much later, it probably should have not been there....this Toyota has 3 different lots is 3 different areas and have been in business for 25 years in this area. And as far as I can see, only sells Toyota products.
And Toyota sells those extended warranties for all their used cars...but not my problem my car is not a toyota... it is theirs.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
When I asked another MB closer to me if they would work on my Smart they said no and Toyota will no longer work on it as they have no one who understands the codes...at least that is what they keep telling me....in the day and age of computers I just do not understand why they can not fax to MB and ask what those codes mean. But I honestly believe Toyota does not want to work on that car and putting it off on MB which will cost me a fortune. I think they also hate me as I have argued with them about the car and the warranty and I was told just cause I have Gold Protection does not mean anything is covered.
I do not know if the GOLD PROTECTION allows me to go to just any dealership to work on this car, other then who Toyota authorizes, since if something is covered they have to pay.
The next set, is to Contact the Toyota gold protection warranty people. Ask them if you can take your car, anywhere to have extended warranty work performed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The next set, is to Contact the Toyota gold protection warranty people. Ask them if you can take your car, anywhere to have extended warranty work performed.
I am contacting the Attorney General by phone in about an hour as those from Toyota are ignoring my phone calls.
Never called me back yesterday and they close in about an hour and have not returned my call from this morning.
I probably could take my car elsewhere to be worked on but I have called several places and they refuse to work on it as they do not have the machine to scan it for codes....so I am stuck with the Mercedes dealership 70 miles away, that I am told will charge me $155 just to scan for codes....I do not have that kind of money right now.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I am contacting the Attorney General by phone in about an hour as those from Toyota are ignoring my phone calls.
Never called me back yesterday and they close in about an hour and have not returned my call from this morning.
I probably could take my car elsewhere to be worked on but I have called several places and they refuse to work on it as they do not have the machine to scan it for codes....so I am stuck with the Mercedes dealership 70 miles away, that I am told will charge me $155 just to scan for codes....I do not have that kind of money right now.
You didn’t answer my question. Did you contact Toyota Gold Protection? Does that plan you bought, cover extended warranty work at a MB/smart service department. I’d contact the MB/smart service department too. Ask them if they will except, that warranty plan.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
You didn’t answer my question. Did you contact Toyota Gold Protection? Does that plan you bought, cover extended warranty work at a MB/smart service department. I’d contact the MB/smart service department too. Ask them if they will except, that warranty plan.
I thought I did answer it sorry...Toyota says that MB is the only place that will work on the Smart Car as no one else has the correct scope to scan the codes. So first I can only go to MB and MB head of service dept. said after I called them they would call my Gold Plan and try to understand all what is covered. They also told me yes they did give Toyota a copy of the work that was done at their shop last year and laughed when I told him I was told Toyota never got one. He said he would make sure I did get one.
Told him also that if I did not pay for the diagnostic last year, why do I have to pay this year? He said he would call me back first thing Monday morning with all the info and hopes to resolve everything.....hopefully to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Cagney57
I feel for you and wish you luck on getting the issue taken care of.
This is the first i have ever heard of a dealer only selling their brand warranty on used vehicles(seems a bit fishy to me) as most use third party warranty companies(I have one it’s through alpha and is homered any place I would take the car if I needed to)
Now as far as the codes go most dealers will not have a scan tool sitting around for brands other then the ones they sell(case in point it’s a Toyota dealer so they only can pull codes for a Toyota)
Those scan tools aren’t cheap(believe me) and most dealers don’t want to spend the money to get one.(they rarely would see a particular brand car for who knows how long before it’s sold)
That’s why they had to send your smart to the Mercedes dealer to get codes.
Most if not all service contracts will be accepted by other service providers but if the contract is for that dealer only then your stuck and they have to foot the bill from the Mercedes dealer for all work for the contract to be any good to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a lawyer who practices in Michigan but specializes in automotive problems between dealer and owner. He has many videos on YouTube mostly pertaining to lemon laws which I know does not apply to your situation - but he is very helpful with advice and you might want to contact:

Steve Lehto
17200 West Ten Mile Rd, Suite 200
Southfield MI 48075
Call: 248-546-6626
Fax: 248-556-4456
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
There is a lawyer who practices in Michigan but specializes in automotive problems between dealer and owner. He has many videos on YouTube mostly pertaining to lemon laws which I know does not apply to your situation - but he is very helpful with advice and you might want to contact:

Steve Lehto
17200 West Ten Mile Rd, Suite 200
Southfield MI 48075
Call: 248-546-6626
Fax: 248-556-4456
Email: [email protected]
Thank you and even though I am in Ohio maybe he can still advise me as to whether I have a case or not.
I will know something Monday morning after Mercedes calls...maybe with better news.

21 - 40 of 164 Posts