Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my Smart CAR , used... with 14k miles. Ran great at dealers and all the way home. After a while...Did notice that it idled wierd ... it starts out ok.. then it idles up.... and then... goes right down to normal... it continues to do this... the car was hot... ( meaning it had been driven about 50 miles) . The engine light was on ( orange) and it seems to drive ok and all... but.. that damn idle. Dealer said to bring it back.. and am going to ... would just like to know an idea of the problem... THANKS

·
Registered
140 Posts
If the check engine light is one, there is a diagnostic code stored in the engine control computer. When you get to the dealer they will read the code and fix the car based on that code. Probably a sensor is worn out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quick note

Only does this when in park and all lights and accessories are off.. if i am in gear or lights are on... all seems ok...am getting it to dealer.... just want it right.. sucks to buy something " new" and not have it work right:(

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Make the dealer fix it. :) You said you just bought it? As in today? Here's my guess....Old Fuel. I had a friend let their car sit for 6 months (who knows how old the gas is in your tank). She had IDENTICAL problems as you - surging.

Also check the gas cap. Make sure it is on tight.

There is someone else who posted with the same problem and had defective spark plugs.

I stand by the bad gas. If it has been sitting on a lot for a while......that could be it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gas...

He did tell me he filled the tank for me... with 87 octane gas. And the car sat for probably 3-4 months before that...other than this little issue I think the car is KOOL AS KRAP.....and fun as hell to drive

·
Super Moderator
17,553 Posts
Mixing 87 with some really old 93 doesn't sound like a good idea....

Maybe you should run the tank out, buy some top tier fuel (93 octane) and see what happens?

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
..if your dealer is close by take it to them...
...if they are far take it to Pep Boys..AutoZone...or any of the major auto chains...they can read the code that triggered the light but they will not clear it...they will tell you or you should ask for the code the computer stored...and get back with us either way....we will love to know....

jetfuel....Welcome to SCOA...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear you are having issues with your new smart.
I have a couple questions for you, what year is your smart? did it come with the owners manual? did you find out how long the dealer had it on their lot before you bought it?
If the car has been sitting for long the fuel that is in it will start to brake down and eventually leave you will tar in the tank. So I would not get to worked up over the car not working right. Do not trust the dealer to do what is right for you. if you have the owners manual read it. check all the fluids and filters cabin filter and air filter. have the dealer check for stored codes and let them repair what is needed. but if you have some old gas in it ,the smart will run better after a few tanks of high test. the smart is a very cool car but know that it is just like any car out there you have to get to know it inside or out or trust someone else to do it for you. at 15k depending on the year, the oil should have been changed at least once along with the air filter and cabin filter. if the previous owner lived on a dirt road this will shorten the life of the filters. my road was being repaved so they had everything tore up and in two weeks my wife had clogged up the new air filter in her old BMW and caused the mass air flow sensor to burn up.
So even if you have to pay someone have the air filters checked and or replaced right away, check the fluids all of them, and check the air pressure in the tires, also lift your passenger side carpet up and pull out and test your emergency air pump and fix-a-flat make sure the pump works and make sure the can of fix a flat is not empty or expired. While you are there check you battery connections for signs of corrosion and or looseness.check the date of the battery also. to me it does not matter if you car is perfect or not
by going over your smart this way you will ensure that your smart will last a long time and it will give you practice checking the essentials before you are in a emergency situation like on the side of a busy interstate.
Sorry if I went off topic a little I tend to ramble I love cars and I love to help others as well. Good luck I hope your problem gets resolved quickly and correctly the first time.:)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Make the dealer fix it. :) You said you just bought it? As in today? Here's my guess....Old Fuel. I had a friend let their car sit for 6 months (who knows how old the gas is in your tank). She had IDENTICAL problems as you - surging.

Also check the gas cap. Make sure it is on tight.

There is someone else who posted with the same problem and had defective spark plugs.

I stand by the bad gas. If it has been sitting on a lot for a while......that could be it.
Greatminds

·
Super Moderator
17,553 Posts
While you are there check you battery connections for signs of corrosion and or looseness.check the date of the battery also. :)
While I agree that in any average car something like this would be good, I doubt that one would find corrosion in that area due to the fact that it's inside...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Getting it checked out

unfortunatley the dealer is an hour away... but I am minimally going to run some good gas through it.... check the air filter and take it to AUTO ZONE to check the codes in it too...at that point I will contact the dealer to let him know of my findings... my smart is a passion 2008... with 14 k miles... and is bright yellow...thanks to all who posted to help me.. ( I brought the car home at 4 pm this evening....) dealer sais he would fix it... I NEED TO STOP WORRYING and go to bed...

·
Super Moderator
17,553 Posts
This site provides great information on top tier retailers. On a car like the fortwo, good quality fuel can make a HUGE difference.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

·
Registered
415 Posts
While I agree that in any average car something like this would be good, I doubt that one would find corrosion in that area due to the fact that it's inside...
The battery is inside and sealed so the fumes from the battery would not normally effect the smarts battery post however if a car has been sitting and has a old battery it is possible that the battery has been recharged with a battery charger if the battery was overcharged and swollen up the battery case could be cracked which could lead to all kind of nasty things to happen.
This is why I mentioned checking that battery and connections plus the date on the battery. Most new cars come with a three year battery. but if it sits for along time this will shorten it life. its better to check these things out before you need to so there is no surprises. as the battery is just inches from the passengers feet. a defective battery that blows up can cause quite a bit of damage to the car and its occupants its much better to be safe than sorry.Batteries contain sulfuric acid and should not be taken lightly especially when the battery is so close to it occupants.

This is what happened to me while working with sulfuric acid. Note I was in a level B Hazmat suit at the time. and I still got burnt.
Keep in mind I had a Hazmat suit on and I was under a emergency shower only seconds after getting this on me. if your on the side of the road or in your garage without any protection the outcome will be much worse.
to this day I wear a beard to hide the scares.

Note do not look at this link if you dont like to see burnt skin.
Sulfuric acid burns pictures by Knelson1969 - Photobucket

I hope this is enough said about battery safety:)

·
Super Moderator
17,553 Posts
The battery is inside and sealed so the fumes from the battery would not normally effect the smarts battery post however if a car has been sitting and has a old battery it is possible that the battery has been recharged with a battery charger if the battery was overcharged and swollen up the battery case could be cracked which could lead to all kind of nasty things to happen.
This is why I mentioned checking that battery and connections plus the date on the battery. Most new cars come with a three year battery. but if it sits for along time this will shorten it life. its better to check these things out before you need to so there is no surprises. as the battery is just inches from the passengers feet. a defective battery that blows up can cause quite a bit of damage to the car and its occupants its much better to be safe than sorry.Batteries contain sulfuric acid and should not be taken lightly especially when the battery is so close to it occupants.

This is what happened to me while working with sulfuric acid. Note I was in a level B Hazmat suit at the time. and I still got burnt.
Keep in mind I had a Hazmat suit on and I was under a emergency shower only seconds after getting this on me. if your on the side of the road or in your garage without any protection the outcome will be much worse.
to this day I wear a beard to hide the scares.

Note do not look at this link if you dont like to see burnt skin.
Sulfuric acid burns pictures by Knelson1969 - Photobucket

I hope this is enough said about battery safety:)
Interesting...Never saw the smart's battery that way...I always thought that since it's located inside the car that corrosion wouldn't be a problem...

Heck, at least one doesn't have to work on the battery outside when it's cold though :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got some bad gas in my smart last year. rough idle on start up then o,k.
Talked to service manager @ dealer, he said bad gas or dirty air filter. I cleaned my K & N
filter & ran tank low (about to .5 gal) refueled with good premium , & no problem since.

43,000 miles & still loving my smart.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my code NUMBER

OK... went to work, came home and grab my SMART BUGGY and took it to the auto palace...I think thats the place... anyway...the code was P0507 idle control sytem RPM high. Thats all the guy could tell me... I am running the gas out of it... and going to check AIR filter and spark plugs.... It didn't have a manual with it.... I am assuming I should pick one up... so I can learn a lot more about my machine. Going to call dealer tomorrow and let him know about CODE.... hope its an easy fix.:confused:

·
Registered
415 Posts
OK... went to work, came home and grab my SMART BUGGY and took it to the auto palace...I think thats the place... anyway...the code was P0507 idle control sytem RPM high. Thats all the guy could tell me... I am running the gas out of it... and going to check AIR filter and spark plugs.... It didn't have a manual with it.... I am assuming I should pick one up... so I can learn a lot more about my machine. Going to call dealer tomorrow and let him know about CODE.... hope its an easy fix.:confused:
I would not tell him about the code, Just play dumb and see what they say. the code PO507 will be helpful to repair the vehicle. however your car has a warranty I would let them fix what ever they can to resolve the problem however the manual can be downloaded and read on your computer at no charge. I am willing to bet they toss some parts at the problem hopefully they will change your plugs and air filter while they do there normal parts hanging ritual. the fix you more than likely have in the works Getting rid of the old and now low octane fuel. If you still have a lot of fuel left it would not hurt to add some fuel injection cleaner and or octane booster to the tank. If the dealer cannot find anything wrong with it and they just clear the code. Don't sweat it just enjoy your smart and run that nasty gas out of its system. to me it does not matter if the gas is the problem or not but when you are repairing a automobile you always start with the obvious know problem first if it fixes the symptoms then great if not you know for sure what is not the problem.
The dealer will be willing at this point to help you out as you had a problem right away, use this opportunity to have them give you a owners manual with fabric case for it so it can be kept with your smart. remember you catch more flies with sugar.:D

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
..alexxia...check behind the driver seat..that's where the books are kept in a little pouch..
...take it to the dealer and have them replace the idle control valve...the car already told you what the problem is...there has been many '08's that had the rough idle fix by replacing the valve...

jetfuel...my 1c...

1 - 20 of 188 Posts