Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing ignition coils and plugs to hopefully remedy some miss fire codes. Will me check engine light automatically go back off? or will I need someone with a scanner to delete the codes?:shrug:

·
17,479 Posts
If you have a Scan Gauge or an UltraGauge or some sort of scanner, you can reset it right away. Otherwise the CEL may remain illuminated for a few engine cycles then turn itself off.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
You might try disconnecting the battery for about an hour, sometimes that will work. otherwise try a parts store and see if you can borrow a scanner and reset it when they aren't looking. I believe that code can be reset with one of the inexpensive scanners that sell for about $20

And be careful not to drop the 10mm wrench... it doesn't always come out the bottom.

·
Vendor
3,594 Posts
I'm replacing ignition coils and plugs to hopefully remedy some miss fire codes. Will me check engine light automatically go back off? or will I need someone with a scanner to delete the codes?:shrug:
Typically codes will clear on their own once the problem is solved. It can take a bit for the computers to conclude that all is well. Disconnecting the battery can also clear them sometimes but that will also clear the radio and clock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts