Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one seen the engine lowering pins in action? If so, have you seen a part number? I want to know if the engine lowering pins for the 451 (2008+) are the same as the ones for the 450.

Here are the pins I found along with their part number:
Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia
(scroll to bottom of the page)

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts
Why do you want to lower the engine?

And is it really good for the engine to operate at an angle like that?

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Why do you want to lower the engine?

And is it really good for the engine to operate at an angle like that?

Oh Neon..... The pins are used to lower the engine cradle for service work, you don't run it like that. :rolleyes:

I remember when I first got my smart, the dealer claimed you needed them for all kinds of normal servicing, including changing the air filter! Boy, what a couple of years experience will do for knowledge....:)

Push comes to shove, and I bet I could easily make a set using some metric all thread, and a few jam nuts.:think:

·
Registered
259 Posts
fund this

Bolt lengths not including washers are 26 cm and 30 cm. Thread size is M12 x 1.5. Grade 8.8.
Home made bolts made out of mild steel or low grade 4.6 will do the job. The bolts do not need be this
long to get access for fitting the restrictor plug. I used the shorter bolts and packed them 9 cm with
wooden washers. You can lower engine and subframe without these lowering pins. Place the long
subframe bolts in the forward holes and use wooden bars, sticks or studs as supports in way of rear
holes.
So there are 2 shorts of 26 cm and 2 of 30 cm.
Anybody can find a replacement ?

·
Registered
11,471 Posts

I know, I know :p

Has anyone done this ...... used the lowering rods ??????

If so, where do they go ?????

Any pics ????

chief ........... the mind is the, what was I saying ???? :p

·
Registered
259 Posts
I manufacture mine

I got 1 meter of traded road and I cut it in 4 pices 2 long ones and 2 short ones ,a mechanic welded a nut with washer on eaCH FOR ME.
Its not sell hardedened material bul it will hold the engine
Rubyg

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I did not know you could just drop one side.

might be stupid question. But, do you put the drop pins in the motor mount hole so you can't drop the motor too far?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone have any updated information on these lowering pins? Can we order it from the dealer or is anyone selling compatible parts?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Remove or disconnect wiring harnesses, brackets and interfering doo-dads as required. Replace bolts 10 and 12 with spacer bolts 11 and 13. That is the easy part. The tricky bit is lowering the whole mess evenly and squarely so the bolts can be installed correctly during dis-assembly and re-assembly, which is in reverse order, of course.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
I got 1 meter of traded road and I cut it in 4 pices 2 long ones and 2 short ones ,a mechanic welded a nut with washer on eaCH FOR ME.
Its not sell hardedened material bul it will hold the engine
Rubyg
1 meter of threaded rod would be my interpretation.

Rubyg must be using Fredp's cell phone. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts