Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a smart for 2 with about 30,000 miles on it.
I am wanting to start changing my own oil and filter.
Have some of you accomplished this and do you have a short list
of suggestions or steps?
Thanks for you help and safe and happy driving.:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
My suggestions:

Get a set of ramps.
Have a long breaker bar or cheater bar to use to loosen the drain plug.
That's it. Make sure you use the proper oil(synthetic 0W-40). And let your car sit for awhile before you do it... parts are hot under there and you can burn yourself. lol

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
The first time you warm up your engine to change the oil, you will burn your arm while accessing the oil filter. I wasn't aware of the second degree burn until the next day when the blisters burst and my arm was wet with no source of water around.
OOOOhhhh, that muffler was hotter than I realized!
So, word to the wise, don't do that. I use a flexible rubber strap wrench to release the filter.
No breaker bar needed if you have installed the Fumoto drain valve kit with the required spacer from Uptown dog company.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
No breaker bar needed if you have installed the Fumoto drain valve kit with the required spacer from Uptown dog company.
I wish I hadn't waited 6 years to install the Fumoto quick drain. It really makes samrt oil changes MUCH faster and easier.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Mine has no oil drain plug. It sucks, but there is no need for ramps or getting under the car.
Well, until we want to change the filter............

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
That it does, indeed, and no struggling with breaker bars in tight places. :D

Actually, I was responding to Mvaldes, but the above statement works equally well with the last two posts, so be it.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
The one I bought from UptownDog is the Fumoto FG7BN Qwik-Drain.
I opted not to install the screen but Dog does give you directions on how to install it if you would like a screen and aren't afraid of epoxy.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
The one I bought from UptownDog is the Fumoto FG7BN Qwik-Drain.
I opted not to install the screen but Dog does give you directions on how to install it if you would like a screen and aren't afraid of epoxy.
Ken no longer stocks the Fumoto valve :(

You will have to get them directly FG7BNS

You will NOT get the nice spacer that was engineered by Ken :(

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
I picked up an oil extractor since the local oil change hack shop stripped my drain plug hole.. now I suck the oil up through the dipstick tube and it works great! still have to reach under to replace the filter, but no more overtightened drain plug for me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts