Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I am driving Smart 2010 fortwo 71 CP. About 2-3 weeks ago I noticed that after even a short drive, upon leaving the car and going to take something from the back, there is a smell - similar to when you iron a cotton clothes with a hot iron. The smell is on the outside only. I checked the space with the storage on the back and it does not seem hot at all. But it is indeed very hot at the place the air comes in / out to the engine.

I am trying to figure out if it's expected due to a hotter weather now or something is seriously wrong with the car? I have no indicators on the panel that something is not ok. The car drives without any issues. I do have a feeling that it heats up a little a bit too much, and perhaps something is out of order.

I checked coolant level - it's between min and max, so I am guessing that is not an issue.

Thanks very much!
Igor

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
That is a normal smell in my car. It always smells like hot rubber and/or burned clothes. It may be worth it to check for overheating for peace of mind, but otherwise I think you're okay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies! I will probably check the car in the following days at one of the local dealerships.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts