Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to tap into the hive mind of the forums in regards to advice on performance mods. I want to squeeze more performance out of my 451. So far Ive put these mods on .

Smart Go pedal
Bosch cold air intake
Bosch performance exhaust
External cold air scoop

I want it to go a little faster, I want a little more oomph.
I have enough money to get the stage 2 turbo kit but would that be overkill? What upgrades do you recommend? Anybody in this forum have the turbo upgrade and if so any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to be able to get onto the freeway with more oomph than the stock setup will give me because its almost anemic. Anything else is gravy. I want the 451 equivalent of a 500 Abarth. Not in bhp equivalent, just performance compared to the standard car.

·
17,475 Posts
There's not much you can do to these engines to make them that much faster. Outside of getting headers, a performance motor mount, and suspension parts...you're now knocking on the door of more hardcore stuff like ECU tunes and turbo.

I don't think turbo is overkill, it's crazy fun!

·
17,475 Posts
I don't, but a few here have some headers from DTH. IMO it doesn't do a whole lot. Makes much more noise, but not much more go.

Reactions: lashk

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would like to be able to get onto the freeway with more oomph than the stock setup will give me because its almost anemic. Anything else is gravy. I want the 451 equivalent of a 500 Abarth. Not in bhp equivalent, just performance compared to the standard car.
Last winter I installed the Stage II turbo kit from Speed Force Racing (8lbs boost, air-to-water intercooler) and I can say the car is utterly transformed, with a power-to-weight ratio right up there with the Mini Cooper S and the 500 Abarth. I would caution anyone, however, to focus on tire, suspension, and perhaps brake upgrades before adding a turbo. If you do that, you will have a very solid little performance car, a real pocket rocket!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
How are those fancy brakes working? I kept watching the British Pound to Dollar exchange rate when I had my smart to possibly order a set, (back when I was better off money wise as well)....

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
The British Pound to USD exchange rate is favorable now, of course, IMO

Sent from Tapatalk on Android

There was a short time it was about 1.1 to 1 I think, about the time of Brexit, but then now I don't even have a smart anymore. Still a good rate compared to the past. Dollar is definitely pretty strong nowadays!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I do remember him noting a slight issue with the parking brake. Not sure if it got resolved.....
No, it's still an issue, but not so bad that I haven't been able to live with it. The rears have a small built-in dedicated parking brake pad that seems well engineered, but I've found it hard to adjust to get close to the stock parking brake performance.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I need to tap into the hive mind of the forums in regards to advice on performance mods. I want to squeeze more performance out of my 451. So far Ive put these mods on .

Smart Go pedal
Bosch cold air intake
Bosch performance exhaust
External cold air scoop

I want it to go a little faster, I want a little more oomph.
I have enough money to get the stage 2 turbo kit but would that be overkill? What upgrades do you recommend? Anybody in this forum have the turbo upgrade and if so any advice?

Did you start adding performance parts? It would be interesting to hear the results...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts