Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend to run me Smart 451 through the Colorado mountains at 90 to 95 mph at high RPMs for sustained periods of time.

Could my engine find a benefit from a valve cover check valve breather cap.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
We use to drive our smart, every year to Rocky Mountain National Park. There’s nothing you can do to that car. No performance enhancement. The little city car poops out going up the mildest mountain passes. Even the flint Hills though Kansas. It barely can achieve 70 miles an hour. With a Mack truck on your tail.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We use to drive our smart, every year to Rocky Mountain National Park. There’s nothing you can do to that car. No performance enhancement. The little city car poops out going up the mildest mountain passes. Even the flint Hills though Kansas. It barely can achieve 70 miles an hour. With a Mack truck on your tail.
View attachment 66827
Clearly not what I am experiencing at this time.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
...TW ...what mods have you done that allows your car to go over the 89 mph Mfgs limit??

jetfuel....just asking....

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing competent or intentional. When my speedo needle is on 95 mph Waze Says I am at 94 mph. My car came stock with 195/50 15 rear tires. I currently have 205/50 15 in the rear the tallest tire I have had was 195/60 15 back there that set showed a 96 mph on Waze. I have had the speedo needle pegged at 100 a few times and yes that as going down hill lol. I will try to make a drive to your location Jet fuel, and we can follow each other around a bit.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the way to work this morning I had a clear stretch so thought I would air it out with the Smart Highlife radio navigation monitor. But I got to my exit with the speedo needle at 90 mph. The Smart navigation unit said 88 mph. I shut it down and coasted the rest of the way to the parking garage. Lol... Felt log I had more steam in the pedal car was moving along with no stress at all and that section was flat .. I had the Smart navigation show me at 93 once tucked in behind a SUV booking up the NJ Turnpike, all the while interrupting my turns with.."please observe the speed limit". Lol.. I had the 205/40 17 tires on the rear back then. May be I will try to get clocked at the Watkins Glen Track at the Rally. Hey Jet Fuel do you think you can make the Rally at the Glen

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Next time you hit over 89 mph. please shoot a photo of your speedo. All smart cars, the factory speed is limited to the 4 wheel off road vehicle.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
Up hill at 4200 to 4500 rpm. Down hill you kinda coast at 90mph with RPMs around 2800.
...I'll call BS on this one...
...85 mph 5th gear = 4000 rpm ... give or take a few rpm...at 32TPS or 17TPS ...

....sure ...if you ever in Indy look me up...it be fun...don't forget to pack 35 more horses and 40 more ft/lbs of torque.....lol

...about Watkins Glen...is this a no passing/follow speed limit event??...or free for all??

Jetfuel...BTDTFT

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What are the numbers for 85 in 4th gear? Because thats what I use for the steeper hills as its all about momentum and staying above 4 grand on the ScanGuage ll.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
...if memory doesn't fail me I believe you'll be up against the rev limiter in 4th before you hit 85...I'll check it tomorrow ...watching the pre game for England v Scotland now...

Jetfuel...stay tuned

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a...

potentially deadly request....
a
Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
The Navagation unit on the Smart high end radio might do as it shows highest speed reached on on each trip, so the picture would come while sitting still. But it would be ideal if the Rally at the Glen pace car would pace us at 93 mph, because that would mean apparently some Smarts would not be able to keep up while I followed him around the track. ;)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...I'll call BS on this one...
...85 mph 5th gear = 4000 rpm ... give or take a few rpm...at 32TPS or 17TPS ...

....sure ...if you ever in Indy look me up...it be fun...don't forget to pack 35 more horses and 40 more ft/lbs of torque.....lol

...about Watkins Glen...is this a no passing/follow speed limit event??...or free for all??

Jetfuel...BTDTFT
Are there any scheduled events in Indy in July, I want to swap out my front wheel hubs before my next long trip, But if there isn't an event in Indy in July. I suppose The Harlem Edition can take the long way home from Watkins Glen and be in Indy for Sliver Bullets and Coffee on Sunday Morning August 22nd.

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Running oversized tires is about the only way to beat the stock speedometer. With thick 185/65/15 tires, my 2012's speedometer hits 95 before the limiter kicks in with GPS indicating about 93-94. Car feels stable, but it sounds like the panels are flapping hardcore in the wind.

My 2008 with stock tires won't go past 90 indicated, something like 86 on the GPS.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
...check this one out ...
....https://www.artomobilia.org/artomobilia
...august 28...
If you really want to know how fast the car is going read the car info from the port...
...the speedo gets his info from it after it is modified...

Jetfuel...it is what it is...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
...check this one out ...
....https://www.artomobilia.org/artomobilia
...august 28...
If you really want to know how fast the car is going read the car info from the port...
...the speedo gets his info from it after it is modified...

Jetfuel...it is what it is...
I would just prefer to follow Jet Fuel, Smark, and Laughing Cow up hill untill they hit their 89 Mph glass ceiling and see if The Harlem Edition has any thing left in pedal. ........ I have ScanGuage in the OBD port but I would the gps would be more accurate in actual movement of the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts