Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My engine died. 2 different mechanics said the same thing. I need to get a new engine. What's a reasonable price?
I've owned this car since 2011 when I bought it with less than a thousand miles. Previous owner needed a bigger car. Other than maintenance, there have been very few repairs, I mean the worst was damage to the electrical wiring last year by squirrels. I had to have the left ABS sensor replaced. And the battery system replaced. That's it. I love this car and it's been great for me. Don't want to give up on her.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
An engine can be bought for between $1,500 - $2,000, then the labor plus incidentals for about $1,300. That's my personal experience.
The real trick is to make sure you locate a good, working engine and a similarly good engine-er to work it into your smart.

·
Super Moderator
17,938 Posts
Moved the thread to a more appropriate location with a clearer title. :)

I think wahi is about on point on the costs. You might be able to find a shade-tree mechanic to do it for way cheaper, but your mileage may vary. I would make sure that the replacement engine checks out good for compression and function. Some of these cars get taken out due to overheating from sudden coolant loss.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
To the author. Curious how many miles are on your smart car. Do you want to sink, a couple thousand dollars into a old car?

Even if you locate a used engine, you going to need a knowledge mechanic to install it. If it needs software to operate. That’s another issue.

Weigh you option, sink money into a old car, that might additional issues down the line.
Buy a newer vehicle, lower miles. In really good condition.

·
Super Moderator
17,938 Posts
I accidentally scuttled that when editing. OP's car has about 45,000 miles.

Reactions: smark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Engine died" what were the circumstances of the death?
Lol. They said something about the cam was stuck and could not send codes to the engine which caused the engine to seize. Not sure I totally understand it.
To the author. Curious how many miles are on your smart car. Do you want to sink, a couple thousand dollars into a old car?

Even if you locate a used engine, you going to need a knowledge mechanic to install it. If it needs software to operate. That’s another issue.

Weigh you option, sink money into a old car, that might additional issues down the line.
Buy a newer vehicle, lower miles. In really good condition.
I have a good mechanic certified to work on Smart cars. The first one was at PepBoys which is why I had it towed to the Smart certified mechanic. I wanted someone who knew Smart Cars. It only has 43,155 miles and body is almost like new. I bought it in 2011 with less than a thousand miles on it. So, most of those original miles were mine. She's never had any major problems until squirrels chewed the entire wiring and I had to have it replaced in Feb. So yes, I do want to get her back. She's never been in an accident, not even a little fender bender. I have taken excellent care of her. I love that little Smarty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, last November I moved from VA where the squirrels incident happened, had it transported to CA where I am now. And had an auto electric mechanic do the extensive damage to the wiring system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts