Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.... Here goes.
I bought a 2009 smart fortwo at a recent Mecum auction.
The car was rough, to say the least!
I have gone through it, though. Changed the oil, new brakes front and rear, new motor mounts, air cleaner and anything else I could do in my shop.
I have an engine related vibration between 2500 and 3000 RPM. It is very noticeable on the road. It doesn't occur below 2500 RPM or above about 3000+ RPM. It is not tires, as I can run it up to 70 MPH and kick it in neutral and the car runs out quite smooth.
Is this internal? Tune-up? Clutch? Adjustment? Or do I need to just take it to a dealer and have it scoped?
Please help!
Thanks,
T-Dawg:(:(

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The short answer is nobody knows what is causing your vibration.

The question is, does it produce the vibration in every gear at the same engine speed? Does it produce the vibration while the car is stationary with the engine running in the specified rpm range? Or does it only vibrate while driving with the engine under load? Where do you feel the vibration? In the seat or the floor or the whole car? You need to do some testing to determine a direction in which to proceed.

If you only feel the vibration with the engine under load while driving it is more likely to be a engine performance issue. If you can produce the vibration with the car stationary it is more likely to be a engine mount issue. If the latter is the case, one can put a floor jack under the engine oil pan. Put a piece of wood on the jack to spread the load and roll it under the engine. With the engine running in the range to produce the vibration put very slight pressure upward on the engine with the jack. Emphasis on slight. If doing this changes the vibration, that would indicate a engine mount problem. Or maybe sunspots. Or volcanic activity on Mars. Who knows?

This is not meant to be a diagnosis, just thinking out loud. Too many times people waste money and time by assuming symptom A is always caused by problem B. As soon as you start thinking that way you find that it is not true. As a very smart man once said, analyze, don't memorize.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
The short answer is nobody knows what is causing your vibration.

. . . maybe sunspots. Or volcanic activity on Mars. Who knows?

As a very smart man once said, analyze, don't memorize.
A "rough" 2009 smart fortwo purchased at a recent Mecum auction (in Mexico?). You didn't mention miles/kilometers?

Good luck, sadly diagnosis by the WWW is hardly science - I'd go with Rustedwrench's call of volcanic activity on Mars . . . :shrug:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts