Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I purchased used 2008 smart and i noticed that the engine has a lot of vibrations at idle when it warms up. When the door is open you can see it vibrating. The side mirror vibrates at red lights. I have changed lower motor mount but that didn't change anything. Thinking it could be side mounts or spark plugs? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi there. I purchased used 2008 smart and i noticed that the engine has a lot of vibrations at idle when it warms up. When the door is open you can see it vibrating. The side mirror vibrates at red lights. I have changed lower motor mount but that didn't change anything. Thinking it could be side mounts or spark plugs? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
...wow...that doesn't look good or sound good...
...for sure check engine mounts while under a load...lower mount keeps engine from pitching up-down...hard to see in video which way it's moving...side to side or up-down
...I'm more concerned about the metallic sound....no CEL?
Jetfuel...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...wow...that doesn't look good or sound good...
...for sure check engine mounts while under a load...lower mount keeps engine from pitching up-down...hard to see in video which way it's moving...side to side or up-down
...I'm more concerned about the metallic sound....no CEL?
Jetfuel...
There was no codes until i started unpluging coils. Now i have a CEL. Car runs good except vibrations.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Some suggestions...

Change the spark plugs, ohm out the coil packs.

Rum half a bottle of Techron, the black bottle, through the gas tank.

Check fluid level in transmission.

All else faila, do a compression test...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestion. I have new coils and spark plugs. I will be changing them today. I also have mobil1 0w 40 and mobil1 filter which i am planning to change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2015 does the exact same thing. Dealer told me all 3 engine mounts needed to be replaced but for now I just deal with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would love to hear if that works. The dealership wanted over a $1000 for parts and labor (crazy). Hopefully I can get it done at my local shop for far less.
There are videos how to change it by this russian guy on youtube. Seems pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I replaced all 3 engine mounts last week - you can buy all three for 99 usd or order them separate all 3 for 89 usd which i did..
See here:
What did you do with your smart today?

No big deal, you need a car jack E12 and E18 star sockets and a ratchet with M16...
Zero vibrations anymore. My old engine mounts where totally wrecked after 151xxx miles!
This is great! I'll probably do this pretty soon! Didn't realize it was so simple (and relatively inexpensive). And my car only has 54,000 miles but still has all of these symptoms. The last owner must have driven my car very hard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am getting the mounts today. Hopefully this will fix the vibrations. How can i tell if the mounts are shot? The rubber looks intact, but because of limited access cant really tell if its actually broken.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The only way to really inspect is by removing them.

I'd recommend replacing both the side mounts at the same time, if possible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update. New spark plugs and new coil didn't fix the vibrations although engine runs smoother. Added Techron. Going to change oil next.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
Was the gear selector in P?
Try in N
Double check the lower mount...just because it's new doesn't mean it's good...
Check belts and specially pulleys and tensioner..

Jetfuel...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts