Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled a good one today. I noticed that my passenger side parking light was not as bright as before. I recently installed these super-bright LEDs that are as bright as DRLs. I should have realized that extra-bright means extra heat.

I looked closely at the light through the housing and saw that it had started to melt. I loosened the shaft from the rear and began to pull the parking light shaft out. As I started pulling, the bulb came loose and fell down to the bottom of the headlight housing. How the heck was I ever going to get it out without dismantling the front of the car?

I saw that it was kind of in front of the low-beam, so I figured I'd remove the bulb and fish it out. Nope, there's a lens there. I figured that I had to get it over to the high beam that doesn't have a lens somehow. Went out into the street and did about 4 sharp, right-hand turns and sure enough, it slipped over. I took out the high beam lamp and used a piece of stiff wire with duct tape applied, sticky side out, and I'll be darned. I slid the wire in and touched the tape on the edge of the bulb, it stuck immediately and I got it out on the first try! Whew. I've never been so lucky.

Needless to say, I installed the not-quite-as-bright LEDs into the parking lights.

Uptown Dog Company

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
You sound like me except I screw up on a daily basis. I've learned to live with it as a part of life. :D

My parking LED's have been in for a few years now with no problems and they are just right on brightness. :p

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Why do people spend good money on a good car, then waste more money screwing it up? Children at play? Graduate engineers designed these cars and they get most things right; until the accountants do 'mods'.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Why do people spend good money on a good car, then waste more money screwing it up? Children at play? Graduate engineers designed these cars and they get most things right; until the accountants do 'mods'.
Why do you carry a spare tire behind your seats? Didn't the graduate engineers determine that one is not needed and designed a nice fix-a-flat kit? They even included an air pump for us.

I believe you said you installed 185-75 R15s on the rear of your smart. Isn't the stock size, as designed by the graduate engineers 175-55 15? What's with that?:)

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Why do you carry a spare tire behind your seats? Didn't the graduate engineers determine that one is not needed and designed a nice fix-a-flat kit? They even included an air pump for us.

I believe you said you installed 185-75 R15s on the rear of your smart. Isn't the stock size, as designed by the graduate engineers 175-55 15? What's with that?:)
Now, now...... fight nice girls :eek:

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
It's called personalization. People don't want to be like the rest of the crowd so personalizing is what makes them happy. A lot of these things that are done personalizing normally is better than what they came up with at the factory. Those engineers also have $$$ in mind when they are doing those designs, it isn't completely about function all the time.

I would like to think of it as kind of like giving up on your country so you can go move to another because it is what you want to do. It is what makes you happy and you believe you did it for your reasons. Is it something I would do? No. Do I fully understand it? Maybe not fully but I keep an open mind about it and accept their right to do it.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The engineers designed it to please the average joe and pass regulations. I'm not the average joe and I don't much care about regulations. I mod to get what I want, not what sells well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts