Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering when the EPA is going to put up the numbers, I find in the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (64 CFR 23975 § 600.313-01) (excerpt with emphasis):

“Timetable for data and information submittal and review.

(a) A manufacturer shall submit to the Administrator fuel economy label values and sufficient information to determine fuel economy label values within the following time constraints (except for manufacturers designated under § 600.312(a)(4) who shall submit the information no later than thirty calendar days prior to the date the model type [vehicle] is initially offered for sale).
(1) For initial general label values, no later than five working days before the date that the model type is initially offered for sale;
(2) For specific label values, no later that five working days before any vehicles are offered for sale; …” et seq.

Don’t know if § 600.312(a)(4) applies; I presume not. There are other things involved like “running changes” but it looks like the 5-day prior is germane. So, has the vehicle already been offered for sale to PAG/smartUSA by smart GmbH; or is the initial offer for sale by the dealers (who haven’t officially been designated yet)? Are they holding off designating dealers to somehow deal with the submission timetable? Dunno.

Perhaps the EPA has an inordinate interest in the vehicle and is waiting to have access to a smart for verification testing at the Ann Arbor national laboratory.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's my understanding that smart won't official go on-sale until January 1, so we may not get anything official until the end of December, but we've seen some specific numbers come up in articles recently, and while we don't know they come from smart, it's a pretty safe bet they do, and will reflect the EPA stickers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts