Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the dreaded has happened... I was driving along the highway this afternoon when the EPS light popped on and all of a sudden the car did not want to accelerate. I pulled off and turned off the car, and when I turned it on again the check engine light had come on as well. She still does not want to speed up and I clunked my way to the doctor, planning on scanning for codes when I get home hoping it’ll throw something... I read that it could possibly be the reluctor rings but I’m not very car savvy and was wondering if anybody else might have any ideas or experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoops! My bad, it is ESP, the car with skids light. Scan threw P2121 and P2138... I’m assuming that means I need a new pedal?

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
More than likely a reluctor ring or sensor. got dirt in it, or cracked. Might try disconnecting the battery for an hour and see if it goes away (probably won't but worth a try)

·
Registered
17 Posts
The same thing happened to me and it was the gas pedal. Since the pedal was replaced, no problems.

The cost was approx $250.

The pedals just go, I guess. My mileage at the time was 52K.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Whoops! My bad, it is ESP, the car with skids light. Scan threw P2121 and P2138... I’m assuming that means I need a new pedal?

I had the same two codes happen to me a couple of times. Since replacing the accelerator pedal it has been behaving normally. I bought a used pedal on eBay. Super easy to replace.

~toaster

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, just in case anyone wanted an update... Took the wheels off and cleaned the rings, left side was absolutely covered in gunk! Lights and codes have gone away, and I have an accelator pedal on tab in case they come back again ? She’s been behaving since then, no problems. Well, now the driver lock won’t lock, but that’s a problem for another forum post ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts