Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Daimler is working with Geely to build the next generation of smart vehicles. The first one is going be the formore called SUV, which will also realign the brand. As previously reported, it will be based on the SEA2 platform. Geely now provides minimum specs for it's platform, which can then also be transferred to the smart.

They promise remarkable ranges and attractive charging times. Both many times better than what this vehicle segment had to offer up till now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fear so.. but I'm still hoping. The original smart formore was designed to be the enter to the north American market. klick

·
Registered
65 Posts
Smart is certainly done in North America for now, but it would be interesting if Geely/Smart could re-enter the market with a significantly lower price, similar to the Kandi cars approach. Get the price within a reason range, offer a wee bit more performance, better electric range and folks might give it a look. Unlike Kandi, there's still some brand recognition here.

·
Super Moderator
29,352 Posts
Mercedes/smart will never be the low price point - part of their problem with selling smarts in North America. Even VW didn't see a market for a small EV in NA, hence the decision not to sell the ID.3 here. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
The 453 EQ's start at £20k new, over here in the UK, which is expensive enough considering the price of an equivalent gas 453 here, was at least £6k cheaper (we can no longer buy gas 453's as production was finished in 2019).

Although the new Chinese EQ is expected to have better range, the price will be far higher than than current 453 EQ's, up to £30k has been mentioned on some forums as the target price, which is crazy money for a Smart car.

Smart are expecting, or more like hoping, that a loyal following of existing customers will buy the new car, but most like me want 2 seater Smarts and not 4 seaters, and also do not like electric being imposed on us (2030 is the end of new gas car buying in UK). So I do not see a massive rush of existing Smart owners buying a new Chinese Smart.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly, I don't think smart is even trying to appeal to existing smart owners. Especially the formore is targeted to a new audience, which never had a smart before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts