Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 3rd generation smart electric drive is a very robust car. Usually it reaches 200,000 km without any noteworthy problems, neither it's high-voltage technology nor general.
For workshops, there is hardly anything to do that they are not familiar with from normal cars already. The high-voltage technology is practically maintenance-free and things like brakes, steering and suspension are nothing new for them. With this blog post I want to take away the fear from the independent workshops of working on electric cars.
As I learned myself, it's not difficult. It started with the teardown of the 22kW charger of an EQpassion follower. At the same time, I also learned how to replace it and what is important. All in all, it is not as complicated as you hear regularly from inexperienced workshops.

Repairs to the electric smart are no rocket science, even if they involve high-voltage components themselves. In order to make it easier for independent workshops, I would like to give an overview in my blog:

Reactions: MB DNA and sokoloff

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,722 Posts
BRILLIANT!

Very complete, well done my friend. Is there a “dumbed down” version specific to ED3?

Any synopsis from your team for restoring a “bricked” 451 ED3?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the kind words. :)

Is there a “dumbed down” version specific to ED3?
Is there something specific you need to know? :)

Any synopsis from your team for restoring a “bricked” 451 ED3?
As said in the post: "Follow EQpassion on the social media plato forms so you won't miss it." ;)

·
Premium Member
7,722 Posts
Is there something specific you need to know? :)
Sorry for the (Gen3) “confusion” in my post - your work is 453 ED/EQ specific and several of our members have unresolved “bricking” issues with the Gen2 451.

Just curious if you had any similar write ups regarding the Gen2 W451 (2008-2015) HV failures???

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sorry for the (Gen3) “confusion” in my post - your work is 453 ED/EQ specific and several of our members have unresolved “bricking” issues with the Gen2 451.

Just curious if you had any similar write ups regarding the Gen2 W451 (2008-2015) HV failures???
The 3rd generation IS the 451 from 2013 to 2015. 2009 to 2012 was Gen 2. And no, the EQ Passion blog seems to ignore the HV battery bricking problem and overall seems to be entirely too "promotional".

·
Premium Member
7,722 Posts
Therein is my confusion as MineCooky is referring to the EQ (not ED) as "The 3rd generation smart electric drive..."

Europe
W450 Gen1

1998-2007, facelift in 2002

United States
W451 Gen2

2008-2012
2013-2015 ICE or ED = 451, facelift of the Gen 2 NOT a new "build series"
2016 ED = 451

W453 Gen3

2016 ICE = 453
2017 ICE or ED = 453
2018 ED/EQ = 453 ED only rebranded to EQ (ICE discontinued)
2019 EQ = 453 smart withdraws from N.A.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And no, the EQ Passion blog seems to ignore the HV battery bricking problem
I'm not ignoring it, I'm at this task. But It's not ready to be published, yet. That's why I said you need to wait a bit. Should be there in 1-2 months from now.

Therein is my confusion as MineCooky is referring to the EQ (not ED) as "The 3rd generation smart electric drive..."
The current model is already the 4th gen smart ED:
1.st gen was a small test fleet in London, based on the 450
2.nd gen was the generation Tesla helped, based on the 451 preFacelift
3.rd gen was the first own generation by Daimler/smart, based on the 451 facelift.
4.th gen is the current model they cooperated with Renault for, based on the 453.

You can find technical details about all 4 generations here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm talking about the electric drive generations, they define by their power train. I'm not talking about the three build series.

I didn't invent the Names ED1, ED2, ED3 and ED4. That's a well known name for the 4 generations of the electric drive smart and also used here at Daimler for the 4 generation.

·
Premium Member
7,722 Posts
I'm talking about the electric drive generations, they define by their power train.

I didn't invent the Names ED1, ED2, ED3 and ED4. That's a well known name for the 4 generations of the electric drive smart and also used here at Daimler for the 4 generation.
All it takes is a “citation” to clarify your writings?

All righty then...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you for posting the link to your website. I enjoyed reading it and will check back as you add more pages.

i own a 3rd generation ED (2014) and have been curious about the EQ and how much of an improvement it might be over the 3rd gen. It sounds like you think the 3rd generation batteries are higher quality than the batteries in the newer EQs?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure if any of the both is better than the other. My smart EQ is now at 95.000 km (59.000 mi), when it hits the 100.000 km mark, I'm going to analyze it and compare it to the battery data I've got of my ED3, when it hit this mark.

As it seems now, they both are quiet good and each of them got it's advantages. But I need to wait until I've hit the 100.000 km mark, so I can actually compare them 1 to 1.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm blaming the 451 charger module if anyone wants to start testing that hypothesis.

Right now I need to rescue my auction car from the dealer, who cannot get a fresh hv batt for it, and drop the battery from the car and test the cells. HV gloves are due tomorrow from Amazon and I have old Heath IP-27/2728 power supplies to charge the individual cells. Both power supplies do the same thing using controlled current and voltage, the smaller one happens to be newer. Cells measuring below about 3.2v need to be individually charged beginning at low V and lowest A, thus these are the tools to use. The smaller one has no meters so you would need to supply these. All caveats apply: HV+ and HV- must not be connected to anything, wear your gloves, wear your mask, etc, etc.
--

·
Registered
60 Posts
There's a Youtube video of someone opening up a 451 smart battery pack, it's quite a destructive process with lots of things to be cut open and rivets to be drilled out.

As I recall he planned to use the battery for some other project, not put it back in the car. Overall it seems a much more involved process than those Prius battery fixes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is that on YouTube actually from the ED3 or still the ED2? Have you got the link to it?

Opening and disassembling the ED3 battery is rather easy and nondestructive. You have to drill out rivets to open the battery, but they can easily be replaced. Everything else is simply modular and can be swapped easily. Except individual cells, but that's normal in electric cars. You can "only" replace individual modules.

Reactions: mcowher

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As in 'there are 3 modules'

·
Registered
124 Posts
Except individual cells, but that's normal in electric cars. [MineCooky]
No, it is not normal, at least wrt Chevy (Volt, Spark, Bolt), BMW i3, Nissan Leaf, Honda Fit, Ford C-max and more. You are correct that the 3 Smart modules cannot properly be disassembled like the EVs just listed. If you try to rip apart a Smart module you have to pry the welded tabs apart to remove each pouch cell. Once you peel a cell off its module you cannot properly replace it with a good pouch from another module like you can with the other cars listed. The smart pouches are not in 'sardine cans' so you are destroying the battery for high-powered ev operation. You might be able to rebuild a module for solar storage but it will not either have the original power or last a long time. In the Smart the 'sardine can' is the module itself.

Look at YouTube: Shawn Crockett part 1 - 4 for the sad story about trying (and failing) to rebuild a Smart module. He had to buy an entire battery out of a wreck.
--

1 - 19 of 19 Posts