Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 22kW charger of the smart ED3 is known for its first series breaking sooner or later. Too bad, because the NLG664 from Brusa is basically a very good charger. It is compact, quiet and very efficient, so perfect for our little speedster.

I just took a closer look at a broken NLG664 and disassembled it. You can find the full post on my website:

22kW Charger - BRUSA NLG664 Teardown & Error Analysis

Here it is discussed what exactly breaks, how you can exchange it and whether the exchange makes sense.
A workshop in Stuttgart, Germany offers now replacing the 22kW charger with a used one from the 2. generation for only 3.500 €. You can also get just a 2. gen 22kW charger on it's own for 2.500 €: More about that

I know, that the 22kW charger wasn't sold outside of Europa, but this forum is also being used by a lot of english speaking people outside of America.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I know, that the 22kW charger wasn't sold outside of Europa, but this forum is also being used by a lot of english speaking people outside of America.
Exceedingly few Smart ED's were sold in the UK and only a fraction of them with the 22kw charger. US and Canada only have 120-240 single-phase for household electricity so only the 3.3 kw charger is there. The ED was not sold at all in Australia, New Zealand, and all of English-speaking Africa.

So I's say that maybe a dozen native English speakers (in the UK) will ever have to deal with the 22KW charger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Luckily people in other countries speak English as well. I am from The Netherlands and my 22kW charger failed a few months ago. Exactly the problem as described. I decided to convert my car to the standard 3,3kW charger, but the article was very useful.

Kind regards,
Axel

Exceedingly few Smart ED's were sold in the UK and only a fraction of them with the 22kw charger. US and Canada only have 120-240 single-phase for household electricity so only the 3.3 kw charger is there. The ED was not sold at all in Australia, New Zealand, and all of English-speaking Africa.

So I's say that maybe a dozen native English speakers (in the UK) will ever have to deal with the 22KW charger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you still own your charger, there are some repair shops in Germany which offer a repair of the charger. By the way the rootcause for one of the main failure modes is known.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts