Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who knows the 3rd generation smart electric drive, knows that this little city runabout has already an incredible acceleration coming from the factory. And that despite the fact that it's performance is always limited. The built-in electric motor from EM-motive GmbH can achieve a full 80kW, but is limited to 55kW in the smart (60kW for Brabus).

Now Steinbauer is offering two tuning kits:
• More regenerative breaking & a boost to 100 HP
• More regenerative breaking

With the tuning kit the little smart can show what it can actually do. The tuning company promises 25% more power, torque and even more regenerative breaking. Reason enough to try the big 100 HP kit out and test how the little rocket is performing on street and the dyno with the upgrade.

For that purpose I build it in mine 230,000 km old smart ED:

Tuning the smart ED3 to 100PS or simply make it regenerate more?

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,722 Posts
Interesting, does the Steinbauer “tuning kit” alter the top speed limits?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it sadly doesn't. :(

·
Premium Member
7,722 Posts
No, it sadly doesn't. :(
In the interest of saving tire rubber the “boost” is not available on launch.

At what speed does BOOST kick in and through what range - INFINITY AND BEYOND???

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As shown in the graph:

The boost kicks in from 0 km/h on, as it's ramping up from 0 to 50 km/h it's also ramping up the extra boost. It never feels like it's kicking in. It's simply available all the time, just multiplying the power by 25% from 0 to 125 km/h.

Reactions: MB DNA

·
Premium Member
7,722 Posts
Beyond the Dyno numbers, there is no 0-60 mph US (pardon the mph) before/after comparisons?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sadly no. I'm still new to "tuning" anything at all, haven't got a device for that yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts