Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Smart presents the comprehensive facelift of the smart EQ at the IAA 2019 in Frankfurt. The smart is more colorful and leans on the ur-smart. What changed exactly you will learn here." - EQpassion.de

They just presented the facelift, here's everything that chaned:

EQpassion Blog - The facelift of the smart EQ has arrived

·
17,363 Posts
LOVE it! Sadly, it seems they had the LED headlights worked out as far back as the fourjoy concept (predates the 453's original release) and I still think they intentionally held out until the facelift to release them.

They also did nothing to the rear end. IMO, the "afterburner" style LED tails from the pre-facelift were better.

2017+ cars have some soft touch material on the top of the interior door panels, looks like that got increased to cover the entire of the top of the door. Otherwise, I don't see a whole lot different. ETA: Eyes deceive me, that looks like plastic.

Think I'll definitely be looking to retrofit that front end onto my edition 1 :D

ETA: Maybe just the headlights...I forgot my car has that radar up front and I don't think that thing will come cheap. lol

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
LOVE it! Sadly, it seems they had the LED headlights worked out as far back as the fourjoy concept (predates the 453's original release) and I still think they intentionally held out until the facelift to release them.

They also did nothing to the rear end. IMO, the "afterburner" style LED tails from the pre-facelift were better.

2017+ cars have some soft touch material on the top of the interior door panels, looks like that got increased to cover the entire of the top of the door. Otherwise, I don't see a whole lot different.

Think I'll definitely be looking to retrofit that front end onto my edition 1 :D

ETA: Maybe just the headlights...I forgot my car has that radar up front and I don't think that thing will come cheap. lol
Yeah, I'm not too big on the facelifts front end as a whole.... Has to much of a "huge dorky grin" face on it... But those headlights I SERIOUSLY want on my 2016. I'd even take the tail lights.

Don't see what you mean by the soft touch further up the door. Seems the same to me, at least in the picture you posted.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
17,363 Posts
Yeah, I'm not too big on the facelifts front end as a whole.... Has to much of a "huge dorky grin" face on it... But those headlights I SERIOUSLY want on my 2016. I'd even take the tail lights.

Don't see what you mean by the soft touch further up the door. Seems the same to me, at least in the picture you posted.

So our 2016s have hard plastic upper door cards.

In 2017, they changed the design to incorporate some soft touch material, but it only covered a portion of the panel. When I saw the 2017s at the Chicago Auto Show I was confused as to why they didn't just make the whole upper panel soft touch.

ETA: Actually, I'm questioning myself now as I can't tell what's soft touch and what's not. Maybe the partial soft touch door panel still exists?

Looks like the most major interior change is the cupholder area.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I was messaging Smart International on Twitter asking if the new headlight/taillight housings are compatible with the pre-facelift 453's, and asking how much it'd cost if I were to want them, but all they kept telling me to do was ask my local smart center/mercedes dealer. I find it hard to believe that dealerships in a country that have little to no interest in the Smart brand would be very knowledgeable in that area, especially seeing as the're not even available yet.

I REALLY want those on my 2016! I wouldn't even care if I'd have to figure out and solder some wiring together myself.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The new Euro headlights may be illegal for a dealer to sell in the US. Probably need to look on e-bay & find a Chinese or European parts vendor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm quite sure they will be illegal for you as they haven't got the orange stripe at there side.

·
17,363 Posts
@Miss Mercedes are you sure those soft touch tings aren't just a tailor-made thing?
I don't think so? The ones at the Chicago Auto Show were passions. Here's another pic of the material in an image from smartUSA:

Looking again, I'm actually not sure if the soft touch portion was expanded? If that's the case, the only major interior change is the cupholder area.

·
Super Moderator
28,407 Posts
I'm actually wondering if that's the case. I mean.... no Tesla models have a yellow part on the headlights.... and I believe i've seen other cars that forego the orange bit.
The only legal requirement is an amber reflector at the front corners. smart chose to put them in the headlight modules. Other cars place them on the fenders. With the Euro lights, technically you'd have to add two front amber reflectors to the car..... :)

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Finally Apple Car play. The smart car has a grown up sound system. Too bad we won’t see that here, or that car. I wonder why smart choose to graft a large Hyundai looking grill, on a EV. Tesla, the Kia Soul EV, the new Mini Cooper EV, and the new VW ID.3. Have all lost that. You could replace the hood smart badge. Replace it with a Hyundai emblem. Have a 2 door, Hyundai 110.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The only legal requirement is an amber reflector at the front corners. smart chose to put them in the headlight modules. Other cars place them on the fenders. With the Euro lights, technically you'd have to add two front amber reflectors to the car..... :)
... I'd be ok with that

·
17,363 Posts
And even then, are there really police officers looking to bust people missing reflectors in their headlights? :shrug:

Then again, a town local to me does impound cars that have loud exhausts, even if those exhausts are factory... :|

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
And even then, are there really police officers looking to bust people missing reflectors in their headlights? :shrug:

Then again, a town local to me does impound cars that have loud exhausts, even if those exhausts are factory... :|
Haha. So I guess my Smart would probably be impounded if I were near you, then?

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
The trend now, is how big of front grill the manufacturer can put on a vehicle. And those little Darth Vader side vents. Like any Hyundai vehicle.

Lucky smart did follow Lexus large grill designing.

·
17,363 Posts
Haha. So I guess my Smart would probably be impounded if I were near you, then?

The specific ordinance reads that if your vehicle's exhaust can be heard from 75 feet away (just heard, not if it's loud or any decibel measurement or anything) it's in violation and subject to being impounded. The fee is $400 plus $200 for the tow plus $120 for the violation of the ordinance. You have 10 days to prove your exhaust is stock. If it's stock, you get back $400 (the tow company keeps their money) and the ticket gets dropped. If it's not stock, they keep your $600, the storage fees, and you have to show up in court for the ticket. Oh, and better get your car out of impound fast because storage fees are $50 a day. This is in a small town... :shrug:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts